No announcement yet.

Who has the biggest bombs of them all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The B-52H is the US Air Force's long-range, large-payload multi-role bomber ... The B-52 celebrated its 50th anniversary (first flight April 1952) in April ...
    www.airforce-technology.com/projects/b52/
    Boeing B-52 Stratofortress history, specifications, schematics, pictures, and data. ... Max Payload, 70000 lb (31500 kg). PROPULSION: ...
    www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bomber/b52/
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A ton is 2240 pounds, so 700 tons is a bit more than 70000 pounds.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Is it short tonnes or metric tonnes?
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Codenamed: Divine Strake?

Definitions of Strake on the Web:

* Each line of horizontal planking running the length of the ships hull. In small boats this might be a single plank, in large vessels many planks would go to make a skrake
          collections.ic.gc.ca/vessels/terms.htm

* A hull plank.

* One line of hull planking extending the full length of the vessel. Several planks, placed end to end, may form a strake. Strakes may be defined according to position as follows: the garboard strake is the lowest and rabbets into the keel; the sheer strake, directly below the upper edge of the hull side, is a heavy strake which forms the curve of the top-side, and acts as a chief strengthening agent there. ...
          srmwww.gov.bc.ca/arch/pubs/ship/glossary.htm

* This refers to the sections of vertical body panel that extend downwards and slightly outwards at the very bottom of the Insight, which serve to limit the amount of air flow that "leaks" under the car, in order to improve aerodynamics.

* An unbroken line of planks or plates running along the side of a vessel from stem to stern.

* wale: thick plank forming a ridge along the side of a wooden ship
          wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* *In aviation, a strake is an aerodynamic surface generally mounted on the fuselage of an aircraft to control airflow. The strake produces vortices by interacting with the airstream. Aircraft designers change the location, angle and shape of the strake to produce the desired interaction. The strake is commonly confused with a canard or a winglet.
          en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strake
          Who the f*** keeps coming up with these codenames and why are they playing Scrabble on the military's time and the US taxpayers' dime?
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
            Is it short tonnes or metric tonnes?
            It doesn't matter. 70000 pounds / 700 = 100. Unless this ton is 100 pounds or less, the bomb won't fit.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Well, a 1 megaton nuclear device doesn't weigh 1 million tons, it creates an explosion equivalent to a millino tons of TNT.

Is it possible the same type of thing is going on here, and the bomb weighs less but creates what would look like 700 tons of TNT going off?

I don't know if that's plausible or not, just my first guess.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Given this is a US military test and the article quotes "700 tonnes," then 700 tonnes = 1,543,236 lbs, not 70,000 lbs. Short tons would make it 1,400,000 lbs.

Yeah, we're missing something here; this doesn't really make sense as David just pointed out.

Comment

Just read through the article twice. I think the writer just wrote it bad. Either the bomb itself weighs 700 tonnes or the explosion (not the bomb) will be equivalent to 700 tonnes (of tnt I would assume).

Comment

wtf is wrong with american measurements?!

there are tons and tonnes? and they are different?!
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                      wtf is wrong with american measurements?!

there are tons and tonnes? and they are different?!
                      The same, just spelled differently.

Examples:

program, programme
                      dialog, dialogue

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                        Is it possible the same type of thing is going on here, and the bomb weighs less but creates what would look like 700 tons of TNT going off?

I don't know if that's plausible or not, just my first guess.
                        Lets use short tonnes and assume the rest of the device has no mass.

1,400,000 pounds of TNT (thanks DRose) / 700,000 pounds (max payload the B-52H can carry) = 20

So you are looking at a chemical reaction that's 20 times more powerful than TNT going off

Comment

Whatever way you spell it, 700 ton(ne)s still isnt 70,000 lbs.

Edit: Wait, is UR agreeing now? Posted this before I saw that post.

Comment

1,400,000 pounds of TNT (thanks DRose) / 700,000 pounds

actually, it's 2.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

A ton in America = 2000 lbs

A metric ton = 2200 lbs = 1000 kilograms
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

This be a message to Iran?
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X