Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why the EU's protectionist food laws are horrible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why the EU's protectionist food laws are horrible.

Some of you may recall previous debates we've had over the EU's assinine laws claiming rights to all food styles developed with in the current borders of various member states. The Franch claim the word Champagne can only mean bubbly wine from their Champagne region (which ignores that for 500 years or more in English Champagne has been a generic term for carbonated wine), the Greeks claim that only salty cheese made in Greece can be called feta (dispite identical salty cheese being made for centuries if not thousands of years in other places using the identical name), while the Italians attempted to claim sole rights to a varity of generic terms like Salami and parmigiana cheese (both of those names have been generic for centuries and identical products using the generic name are made the world over.

Of course to the European protectionist none of this matters nor does the confusion and down right deception of consumers. All that matters is that they get extra money and that the consumers are prevented from comparision shopping between like items. Now the South Americans have gotten in on the act and are taking the EU's stupid rules to their logical conclusion. Countries such as Peru, Bolivia, and Chile are arguing over who owns the right to patient potatos and who will get to claim historic ownership over this generic crop. The Peruvian government has already claimed it a historical treasure and has called for all farmers in the world who grow potatos to pay a royality to the Peruvian government.

This stupid protectionism has no basis in reality of legal facts but we can expect to see more of it in the future if Europe continues to play protectionist word games in an attempt to prop up their utterly uncompetitive agricultural sector.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

both at Peru's position and at the OP
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I wonder what this would sound like in Spanish or Quechua...
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Well the Irish owes Peru it seems.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Maybe the Irish can sue Peru because of the pain their crop caused some time back .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

PO-TA-TOES

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

@ Peru (and France, Greece, and Italy)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Maybe the Irish can sue Peru because of the pain their crop caused some time back .
                One idiotic turn deserves another.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Someone should be quick and claim the rights for Teh Mighty Banana
                  Blah

Comment

Then we'd all be on the hook for royalties at Poly!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Maybe we can claim it
                      Blah

Comment

Working...
                      X