The Internet is Serious Business, Take Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Internet is Serious Business, Take Two

Does anyone remember the bill passed by Congress saying that it is illegal to annoy a person over the internet?

Well, get this:

CENTER CITY — Anthony DiMeo III is headed back to court.

DiMeo, whose Renamity PR firm ran a New Years’ Eve Party that ended in chaos, is suing the owner of a Web site, TuckerMax.com, where DiMeo says people went to libel him.

Max is an author and socialite from New York City who hosts a Web site where he publishes stories and blogs about his life of partying.

One thread on the Tucker Max board about DiMeo’s party continues for 18 pages and has had nearly 49,000 page views since January.

“We’re going to prove it has not only distressed him but it has caused him harm,” said DiMeo’s attorney, Matthew B. Weisberg, “both emotional distress as well as commercial.”

“Awesome,” Max said by e-mail, calling the lawsuit the best news of the week. “Please give Ant-nee my address, so as to expedite delivery of a document I anticipate to be of the highest comedy.”

Max was on vacation yesterday after wrapping up a 25-city book tour for “I Hope They Sell Beer In Hell,” which appeared on the New York Times’ best-seller list for paperback non-fiction.

DiMeo is suing Max for more than $1 million.

Weisberg said the comments on Max’s Web site aren’t protected by the First Amendment under a law passed by Congress last year that outlaws anonymously posting or e-mailing messages intending to annoy.

DiMeo previously filed a lawsuit against the owner of the restaurant it contracted with to run the New Years’ Eve party and was then countersued by the restaurant. He is also in court with Philadelphia Weekly and its former gossip columnist, Jessica Pressler, who made light of a holiday card e-mailed by DiMeo.

Max was taken to court before by a former girlfriend, two-time Miss Vermont Katy Johnson, who claimed he published stories about the pair’s sex life for his own personal gain.

The New Year’s Eve party

• Anthony DiMeo III’s Renamity PR firm threw a New Year’s Eve party at the Art Alliance on Rittenhouse Square.

• The open-bar bash, with approximately 700 guests who paid $100 each, fizzled around 9:30 p.m. when the liquor and food ran out.

• DiMeo has blamed the owner of the restaurant at the Art Alliance, and vice versa.
    TuckerMax's reply to this stuff on his myspace account, apparently:

As you may know Anthony Dimeo is suing me:

The original news article http://philly.metro.us/metro/local/a...wner/1484.html

Here are two more articles about this:

One from today that has a quote by me

One from Friday that kinda misquotes me (but not that bad)

And then a GREAT piece that fully explains why this lawsuit is such a big deal. If you care about free speech or the internet at all, I suggest you read this article http://www.myelectionanalysis.com/?p=819, its good. [Also, the text of the actual complaint is linked on that site]

As of right now, I do not have any specific comment on the case, aside from this:

There is no question that on an average day, I am a huge attention whore, but that is not what is going on here. This is not about me; this is a very serious legal matter, not just for me, but for the entire internet. The issues at stake here could potentially affect every single website and individual who posts on messageboards and chatrooms.

I try not to ask much of you people, but please send the relevent links/my blog post to anyone and everyone you can who has a site that could talk about this and publicize it, and if you have a website, please post about and publicize this case.

In defending my rights I will by proxy be defending everyone's free speech rights, and by writing about this you will be helping defend this cause. The more attention that we focus on this case, the better the chances that freedom will prevail and censorship will be beaten back.

Remember: I don't ask that you endorse me or my site, but onlt that you endorse my fight against censorship.
    I can't believe that this had actually come to fruition.
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Re: The Internet is Serious Business, Take Two

Originally posted by Bill3000
    Does anyone remember the bill passed by Congress saying that it is illegal to annoy a person over the internet?
    We're all going to jail.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Well, technically, it's annoying a person over the internet anonymously; probably most likely in the cases of that lame buzzword "cyberstalking" or "cyberbullying".

Technically, what some of you guys did to me 6 years ago would qualify for that.
      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

It seems very.. American is the word, I think.

Comment

Ming annoys me by closing my spam threads.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

If flaming becomes illegal the whole notion of an 'Off-Topic chat forum' loses its raison d'etre...
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Re: The Internet is Serious Business, Take Two

It did?

I have a few people to sue
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Technically, what some of you guys did to me 6 years ago would qualify for that.
                I didn't know the US constitution protects aspies from cool kids.

Comment

I can't believe that this had actually come to fruition.

When?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                  X