RIP Stanslaw Lem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Stanslaw Lem

IIUC he had a complication during his cardiosurgery...

RIP - a life truly worth living
    urgh.NSFW

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

He single-handedly rekindled my interest in sf, after years of not reading the stuff.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Rest in peace.

Of his works, I read only "Solaris". It was very difficult and dense, I remember not being able to read it when I was tired.

Comment

RIP

Comment

RIP

A true master of sci-fi
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

RIP.

Solaris is a work of genius that truly has very few matches in sci-fi. Lem would have been one of the greatest sci-fi authors even had he never written anything else.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Of to the unknown. Bon Voyage.
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Damn.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have read all of his books I have gotten my hands on (quite a few). For me, he is the greatest Sci-Fi writer ever, a man with both humor and immense depth.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

R.I.P.

Comment

RIP

Not many of the old guard of polish literature remain.
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

RIP.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

RIP, You will be remembered.
                            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                            X