I'm free to do what I want, any 'ole time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm free to do what I want, any 'ole time

Recently I begun my journey to video game nirvana. Admittedly I am a novice but the journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step.

I've been an avid PC strategy gamer for 15+ years now. I've dabbled here and there with console gaming as well but was historically disappointed with the lack of strategy titles for consoles. PC's have been the way to go as many who were in the know knew. I was one of those who were misled until recently.

Civ4 changed my life for the better and it only cost me 49.99 plus tax. Not bad for begining a journey which will lead to video game bliss.

It seems that the PC game industry is so plagued with problems that customer support for substandard products is almost non existant. More and more games ship out in an unfinished state with the simple mission of extracting as much money from consumers as possible before they realize they are working with a product that is broken. Even better when these unassuming dupes are lead to believe subsequent patches will solve their problems. They even say things like "I would definately buy again from company x because they released 546 patches on a 2 year old pc game and it finally works now, now how's that for customer support?"

Sad that people will buy a product discover it's not working and wait for a fix.

I say to hell with all that. I ain't playing anymore.

Import console gaming is the way to go for all you strategy geeks out there. Plug in the disc and play away. No need for patches. Products are released almost bug free.
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

'm free to do what I want, any 'ole time

Thought you just got single.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

i think it's fair to say he is
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
        i think it's fair to say he is
        Ah but you would be wrong there sir. So many are so quick to jump to conclusions.

Anyway......

Comment

I knew he has (had? ) a partner, but that's what I made of the thread title too.

Comment

Yeah I guess the title could be construed in a way I didn't intend.

What I mean by that is the shackles of dl'ing the latest drivers, tweaking graphics card performance, etc. are over for me and it is as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Btw it's been 7 years since I got married. My wife is the greatest woman in the world because she puts up with my abject geekyness and gaming

Comment

With the Xbox 360 connected to the net, and the Playstation 3 and Nintendo's next console to follow, expect the patch culture to migrate to the home console.
              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                With the Xbox 360 connected to the net, and the Playstation 3 and Nintendo's next console to follow, expect the patch culture to migrate to the home console.
                Amen. Especially since console titles aren't bug-free by any stretch. At least PC titles allow for the opportunity of post-release patches.

Still, a real gamer will have both a PC and at least one console.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                  Only if game files become installed on the consoles' resident hard drive. I don't really see this happening (at least on the PS3 or Revolution) for a while.

ajbera is correct. A real gamer ( with an open mind )has both PC and at least one console.

I do intend to continue to play PC games but only the ones I already have. I may take a chance here and there but the majority of my disposable income will go to consoles.

Comment

Working...
                  X