Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Speech, Fellas, Warts and All

Everyone:

I found this article while scanning the raw news wires; it's posted for your pleasure below and my thoughts are summed up in the subject header.

With no further ado:

Spurlock Lecture Causes Stir at Pa. School
    By The Associated Press

HORSHAM, Pa. — The filmmaker who ate nothing but McDonald's meals for his Oscar-nominated film, "Super Size Me," gave a profanity-laced, politically incorrect speech at a suburban Philadelphia high school, but not everyone was lovin' it.

Speaking at Hatboro-Horsham High School's first-ever health fair, Morgan Spurlock joked about the intelligence of McDonald's employees, about "retarded kids in the back wearing helmets" and teachers smoking pot in the balcony.

The special education students in the back row were led by teachers out of the hour-long presentation.

"If you put the whole package together, the use of the F-word and poking fun at teachers and the comments about special-needs students, it just wasn't appropriate," Superintendent William Lessa said.

Most of the 700 students laughed, gave him a standing ovation and mobbed him for autographs. A speech Spurlock was to make at the school later Friday night for community members was canceled.

Spurlock said he has never had a complaint after giving similar talks at other high schools and colleges. He said he had been told shortly before his appearance not to talk about McDonald's because a board member of the Hatboro-Horsham Education Foundation, which sponsored the appearance, owns a franchise.

The association's director did not return phone calls seeking comment.

"The greatest lesson those kids learned today was the importance of free speech," Spurlock said.
    Gatekeeper

P.S. OK, so I fibbed: I do have another, evil, thought WRT Mr. Spurlock: I think it'd be only fair if he had a stroke and suffered some brain damage because of it. It might give him a new perspective on life.
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

The only issue I have with what this guy did is that making fun of retarded people, while they're present, isn't really fair since they might not really have the ability to defend themselves or understand that it's a joke.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The guy couldn't eat a Big Mac and Supersize Fry without throwing up. Of course he makes fun of mentally handicapped - HE'S A HUGE *****!
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Morgan Spurlock is my hero.

Comment

This guy always seemed like a douche, but he can't be all bad if he makes fun of '*****...
          Last edited by Drake Tungsten; March 26, 2006, 15:24.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

What??! He was makin' fun of me?!

Comment

Working...
            X