Should We Ever Re-Elect Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should We Ever Re-Elect Anyone?

PRESIDENTS ALWAYS LOSE POPULAR SUPPORT IN THEIR SECOND TERM.

The initiatives they stand for are usually stopped up in congress. See virtually every second-term president for examples of this.

If this is not an argument for one 6 -year presidency I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

IF I WERE A WIZARD I WOULD SLAY BORIS.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

If Wiglaf doesn't act stupid, I don't know what acting stupid is.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
        If Wiglaf doesn't act stupid, I don't know what acting stupid is.

I've heard it said that everyone wants to vote the other bums out, but they still like the ones they voted for.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: Should We Ever Re-Elect Anyone?

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          PRESIDENTS ALWAYS LOSE POPULAR SUPPORT IN THEIR SECOND TERM.
          Wrong, Bill Clinton

If this is not an argument for one 6 -year presidency I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
          All that would do is have Presidents f*cking up in their whole six year term since they dont have to worry about reelection

I think if you're serious about this you should support easier ways to impeach them...

But is this an admission that Bush is royally screwing the country over now?
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

LOL, clinton was impeached. talk about a ringing 2nd term endorsement.

if one term 6-year presidents would have no incentive to act responsibly, then don't second-term presidents also have nothing to worry about?!

Comment

Re: Re: Should We Ever Re-Elect Anyone?

Originally posted by mrmitchell

Wrong, Bill Clinton
              People rallied around him because it was obvious he was being impeached for partisan reasons.

Comment

If presidents could run for a third term, they probably wouldn't lose popular support in the second. It's because that once you've reached your second presidential term you've reached the top and there's no more to aim for, you can do whatever you want.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

It just shows the absurdity of term limits. A President in his final term (be it a four-year second term, or a six-year first) is completely unaccountable to the electorate.
                  Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

A bit like having carte blanch. They can do what they want with out fear of loosing their job, 2nd term's job is already lost. Which pretty much puts them in charge of our jibblies and not much we can do
                    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                      LOL, clinton was impeached. talk about a ringing 2nd term endorsement.

if one term 6-year presidents would have no incentive to act responsibly, then don't second-term presidents also have nothing to worry about?!
                      Clinton's approval ratings went up consistantly throughout the impeachment nonsense, because people rightly saw it as what it was: a partisan witchhunt. The GOP did not have public support for the impeachement, and were punished accordingly in the 1998 midterm elections.

As for terms: the Philippines has a 6-year, no re-election presidency. It's a disaster. 6 years is too long to be stuck with a chief executive who isn't working out.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

You should just scrap term limits. They are fundamentally undemocratic. If you got rid of all the gerrymandered districts and the disproportional upper house then you'd be on the way to a genuine functioning democracy.
                        Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

MrFun: "If Wiglaf doesn't act stupid, I don't know what acting stupid is."

I've heard it said that everyone wants to vote the other bums out, but they still like the ones they voted for.
                          I quoted this for posterity's sake: someone finally laughed at a Mr Funny.

You saw it here today, folks.

Comment

Wow, so this is the feeling.

The feeling of finally being apart of apolyton history.

Comment

You should just scrap term limits. They are fundamentally undemocratic. If you got rid of all the gerrymandered districts and the disproportional upper house then you'd be on the way to a genuine functioning democracy.

QFT
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X