New York City tourism advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York City tourism advice.

Where's Boris (the non-fake one) when you need him? I'm going to be in New York City this Friday-Monday and I'm hoping to get some good advice about places to go, things to see, and restaurants/bars to visit. Any of you know the insider scoupe on NYC or remember anything good about your visits there?

Hell, I was 14 the last time I was in NYC so It's been a good 15 years. I figured it was about time to take another bite out of the big apple.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Boris is in Portland, Oregon.

Ask GePap.

And try some pizza... mmmmm, NY/NJ pizza.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bum Bashing
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm actually staying in Newark with Krazy Kitty and a few other people. You're from Jersey aren't you? Before you moved to Atlanta I mean. What's there in Newark/North Jersey?

Comment

Foget about it....

join a gang

pretend to be blind and go to the rainbow room and then try to get them to let you test drive a ferrari

Go to a jewish deli

Hangout outside of Radio CIty Music Hall

Go to FAO Schwartz and play chopsticks on a giant piano

Go to the top the Enpire State Building and swat at airplanes

Have an orgasm at the Brown Durby

Go to Strawberry Fields and scream "Why! Why!"

Go to the Gugeinheim and complain that the architecture is making you dizzy.

Go to Trump Plaza and fire people
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Save your money and buy whiskey.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I had tea at Tavern on the Green once... it was nice

Go see a musical, after the jewish deli

Ride the Subway to Coney Island... nekkid

visit the real soup nazi!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I think I need to go to Coney Island to eat a hot dog.

Comment

Where are you staying (what part of town)?
                  What kind of budget are you on?
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I'm actually staying in Newark with Krazy Kitty and a few other people. You're from Jersey aren't you? Before you moved to Atlanta I mean. What's there in Newark/North Jersey?
                    Better off asking someone from New York . I came from South Jersey, it's like an entirely different state.

Though there is a performing arts center in Newark that is supposed to be nice. They are trying to rebuild the area (it wasn't very nice... still may not be that nice), so stick around the performing arts center area. You can catch a Nets or Knicks game as well. Maybe hit the malls in Paramus.

If you can get away for a day trip to South Jersey, Long Beach Island & Cape May are popular tourist sites on the Shore, but in the summer, so it may be a little dead down there.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Nathan's Hotdogs

best fries
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: New York City tourism advice.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        Where's Boris (the non-fake one) when you need him? I'm going to be in New York City this Friday-Monday and I'm hoping to get some good advice about places to go, things to see, and restaurants/bars to visit. Any of you know the insider scoupe on NYC or remember anything good about your visits there?

Hell, I was 14 the last time I was in NYC so It's been a good 15 years. I figured it was about time to take another bite out of the big apple.
                        Depends what you want to do, what kind of things you want to see, and what is weather appropriate.

This weekend it seems it will be cool, so your outdoor activities might be limited.

If the weather is nice, and you want photos, nothing beats the Brooklyn promenade and a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge for spectacular views of the tip of Manhattan.

If you want culture, the Met is technically free (suggested donation) and on fridayd and saturdays it is open till 8:30. Honestly, you could spend 12 hours and not see the whole thing. If you go, the Astor Court, Temple of Dendur, and the Hall of Armor are great.

For beers, there is the Bohemian Society in Astoria, the last authentic beer garden in NYC, thought it might be to cold, and closed. The Peculiar Pub on Bleecker has several hundred beers to chose from. Zum Schneiders on 7th and C is a nice, small, and very popular Bavarian beer garden.

For Pizza you have Patsy's, Grimaldi's, John's, and a variety of other classic NY PIzza places. Coney Island will probably be dead, as it is winter and cold. You can find a nathans in a variety of places, or try one of the endless "something" Papaya's, all of which serve authentic NYC hotdogs, and awful papaya drinks (stick to the hotdogs)

The Upright Citizens Brigade has great skit comedy shows for 8 bucks on the weekends...Or spend huge money for Broadway, or see any movie currently open in the US at the countless movie theaters in NYC, like the Angelika, Sunshine, Lincoln Square, Paris, Film Forum...so forth.

For cheap and good food, can't beat Chinatown. Joe Shanghai's on Pell Street is good, but go for lunch, friday nights and saturdays it is too busy.

I could go on for ever. Anything specific you want to do, or see, or something that interests you in particular
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Better off asking someone from New York . I came from South Jersey, it's like an entirely different universe.
                          fixed
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Saturday a bunch of us are meeting up at Zum Schneiders for beers so we have that place covered. I get in very EAAARRRRLLLYYYYY friday (around 12:30am) so my main goal will be to get to my hotel and then rest for a few hours then be up at the butt crack of dawn to get a New York breakfest (well maybe a New Jersey breakfest) followed by an all day (or at least most of a day) binge at the Met. I'd like to get in one of those boat tours of the city plus seeing central park is a must. Other then that things are up in the air. Well, Friday night will likely be for clubbing but it depends what everyone else (It's a CG meet but I believe a poly tubby will find names s/he knows) wants to do. It's been suggested that cludding in the village might be on the menu though I'd also like to fit in a trip to McSorleys at some time.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                              Where are you staying (what part of town)?
                              What kind of budget are you on?
                              I believe Krazy Kitty got a place in Newark near the bridge for $60 per night. I actually still need to find a place for thursday night so I was thinking about hitting up a hostel for the second half of thursday then splitting a room with a few of the others for Friday-Sunday nights.

Comment

Working...
                              X