VPN problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN problems

We have this VPN server at work and I am trying to connect to it from home. I am using the WinXP VPN client to log on. I enter my username and password, hit connect and it says that I am connected but the connection does not seem to work.

I think that the problem is that both at home and at work(the remote network) I have the same default gateway 10.0.0.1. There seems to be some sort of conflict.

I can connect OK and the VPN works if I change my local network gatway's IP but I am looking for another solution.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
    Quendelie axan!

Talk to your IT staff
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

They are extremely incompetent. Unfortunately
      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

I had a problem from my home logging into our office network, and they had it solved in seconds. But then again, I am on the Board
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I had the same problem at work, fixed by 2 hours of playing cricket with the router.

(By which I mean enabling VPN in the router)
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

VPN server?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              VPN server?
              I think that is what it is called. This is the computer on the remote network that you log on to.
              What I ment is that we have a VPN at work and I can logon to it.

Also the network at work has a default gateway 10.0.0.1 and assigns an IP address of 10.0.0.250 to me when I log on the VPN.

Then there are two cases at home:
              A) I use default gateway 10.0.0.1 on my home nework and my home network IP address is 10.0.0.2
              B) I use default gateway 192.168.1.1 on my home nework and my home network IP address is 192.168.1.2

In both A and B I can logon to the VPN but in A I actually cannot access computers on the remote network. For example there is a server running an accounting program on 10.0.0.111 on the remote network and I cannot connect to that server with my client program in case A. I cannot even ping 10.0.0.111 (request timed out)
              In case B everything works just fine.

So I was wondering if anyone had simmilar problem and how they managed to solve it.
              Quendelie axan!

Comment

If you can log on to the VPN and it still doesn't work, it sounds like their problem. Or maybe you don't have the right permissions. Ask your IT staff about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og
                  Then there are two cases at home:
                  A) I use default gateway 10.0.0.1 on my home nework and my home network IP address is 10.0.0.2
                  B) I use default gateway 192.168.1.1 on my home nework and my home network IP address is 192.168.1.2
                  Both of these are private IP spaces. What that means is everybody can have them for their own local networks and the IP packets going to these addresses don't travel over the Internet.

The first one is class A and the second one is class B. There's also one class C.

Originally posted by Sir Og
                  So I was wondering if anyone had simmilar problem and how they managed to solve it.
                  You should consult the network administrator to get the IP settings required to access the VPN. You may also need special hardware, or at least some kind of repackaging program.

You also need to be sure you are using the same kind of VPN as your company. Probably PPTP (bad idea - shown to be insecure) or IPSec.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                  X