sending personal checks internationally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sending personal checks internationally

I won an auction on ebay (my first win!) but the seller refuses to use paypal because of some previous problems. He's in NY and I'm in Quebec, of course.

So if the winning bid was $20.00 USD, and I have to send him a personal check to win, how do I write up the check? do I figure out the exchange ammount and do the math for the price + shipping?
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

You go to the bank and get a USD money order. Thats what I do. It only costs a couple bucks.

Comment

You could write up a personal cheque and work out the exchange, but you'd have to make sure its OK with him first. Otherwise the rate could change suddenly (+/-) and one of you gets screwed.

Comment

Thanks!
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

This calls for the scientific method - "try and see":

1. Send me a check for $20.
          2. I'll deposit it.
          3. Check your bank records to see if $20 was withdrawn, or the exchanged amount.
          4. Thank me for my sacrifice and effort.

Comment

hehe

If the funds aren't USD, many (all?) US banks charge a fee... so that would probably be a problem.

I'm pretty sure a check drawn on a Canadian bank would be considered to be in Canadian currency, but there i'm not sure.

Either way, I suggest the USD money order (or wire transfer; also costs money, but may be cheaper than sending the check in the mail). Wire transfer is pretty easy to do at any major bank, but he has to give you his bank info.

Unless you use Western Union anyway
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Wire transfers are expensive, not worth it for only $20.

I'd say just get the USD money order. The seller will be able to deposit it and have access to the funds immediately. A personal cheque might take weeks to clear since it will be drawn on a foreign currency (CAD).

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                This calls for the scientific method - "try and see":

1. Send me a check for $20.
                2. I'll deposit it.
                3. Check your bank records to see if $20 was withdrawn, or the exchanged amount.
                4. Thank me for my sacrifice and effort.
                Oh and it would definately withdraw it for whatever 20CAD equals in USD if its a cheque drawn from CAD account at a Canadian bank. Banks aren't dumb... unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                X