Uruguay TV show accident kills 7, leaves 10 injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uruguay TV show accident kills 7, leaves 10 injured

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Seven killed in Uruguay TV stunt

The accident happened in front of thousands of children
    A runaway train killed seven people and injured at least 11, severing some of their limbs, during the filming of a TV show in Uruguay, police said. The accident occurred during a "test of strength" challenge to raise money for a hospital in Young, 380km (235 miles) west of the capital, Montevideo. Contestants were pushing and pulling a train and two carriages when the vehicle gained speed and ran them over. Local authorities have declared three days of mourning.

Participants in the programme, called A Challenge to the Heart, raise funds for local charities by completing difficult tasks set by the network - in this case manoeuvring a train a certain distance down railway tracks. The Associated Press news agency quoted Ana Portela as telling local radio station El Espectador that the train was moving when "somebody slipped and fell under the locomotive, and others were falling alongside it. "There were shouts and somebody said 'my arm!'" Ms Portela said. "Everybody was in a state of shock." Graciela Baccino, a spokeswoman for Channel 10 television, said the tragedy was "deeply saddening".

She said the TV network offered its "solidarity and support" to the families involved.

About 3,000 schoolchildren were at the recording and witnessed the accident.

This reminds me of some Toltec tale I read in some book once. A wizard appears and seels small clay figures. One of them suddenly grows big, larger than human, while it lays on the ground. The townsfolk begin to draw it using ropes, and several of them are killed when the now huge clay thing glides over them. History repeats itself.

Anticipated Homer Simpson copycat reply in 10...9...8...

Comment

video link?

Comment

Terrible thing.

I didn't know they had televison in Uruguay.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
          video link?
          edit: doen't work. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/ though.

+ report from BBC.

According to that report people started to pull the train before they were meant to
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            I didn't know they had televison in Uruguay.
            The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
              Anticipated Homer Simpson copycat reply in 10...9...8...
              I'm not doing it, although I was sorely tempted
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Unspeakable Horror

Didn't you know that you dowen there live on trees?

Honestly, the gradma of a friend of mine wanted to give her a radio when she travelled to Chile because she thought they had none.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I would expect injuries from a stampede of llamas, but an actual train?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd like to know why Pres. Bush didn't do anything to prevent this meaningless tragedy from happening.

No really, I feel awful for those who were involved in this thing. From the reports, it seems like people got carried away with a TV "charity" stunt. Worst of all, the organizers had no clue what they were doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      I'd like to know why Pres. Bush didn't do anything to prevent this meaningless tragedy from happening.
                      he can fix his mistakes by invading the country and setting up a goverment that would not allow such things to happen.

Comment

You know, Uruguay is practically blockade by argentines from the border province who complain because of poluting paper factories from finland Uruguay is building on the river that separates Argentina and Uruguay.

Uruguay has to get everything by sea now or by brazil.
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Y'know, if it'd been some crass reality TV show with idiots on board who were there just for their 15 minutes of fame and some cold, hard cash, I probably would have just shrugged, said "Life sucks," and moved on.

But this really is a tragedy. These folks were trying to help a charity, and they died because of it. I hope their souls can find peace.

Gatekeeper
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                            Honestly, the gradma of a friend of mine wanted to give her a radio when she travelled to Chile because she thought they had none.
                            I love grandmothers...but sometimes... Mine reported that she liked Jamaca a lot except it had too many damn n**g**rs.

Comment

Jamaica realise the insensitivity of that remark?

Comment

Working...
                              X