Uni courses picture thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uni courses picture thread

I haven't seen such a thread for a while, and I was thinking that it was a nice way to waste some more of my (little) spare time.

So, just a few rules. Post pictures of book pages, illustration, photos of the courses you are currently attending/studying for an upcoming exam.

Pictures are self-explanatory only if your books are written in English, otherwise feel free to describe a little what you are posting.

If you were wondering what the hell I'm doing at 3am, it's that I'm so tired that I can't sleep, or study. And coffee really is becoming repulsive.

Well. It begins.

This course is called Methods of archeologic research and excavation

It consists of giving the theorical knowledge and some preparation for the upcoming practical session that will see your favourite Datajack performing an excavation himself somewhere far, far away from human civilization. Maybe in the south of Italy.

At first, learning the basics of excavation tecniques, the founders of the current worldwide method (just going and diggin' around is considered a complete disaster for both what's going to come up and what's hidden down below), the connection between different kinds of terrain, the pH, humidity, erosion and other amenities.

Some basic stuff is given by reading about Archeobotanic. From here I'll be just translating.

Archeobotanic The study of vegetable remains coming from archeological contests such as carbons, seeds, pollen, phitolytes, providing useful information about ancient flora, the amount of spontaneous sprouts and those plants cultivated by man for harvesting.

Got it? Ok, now you're getting to know how to dig. Because, as previously said, you can't just go and make a huge hole. This is how you're supposed to do, by recognizing every single change of the terrain. Humidity, pH, presence of absence of minerals, while excavating cm after cm, you notice that the terrain has changed, you immediately stop and dig around the current spot until you have finished digging and examinating the whole substrate you are taking out. When you are done with, let's say, #4, then you can proceed. You can't go down until you have literally taken out the whole substrate. Otherwise, one substrate can mix with the other, and that would complicate the identification of what you are going to find out. When did this happen? Is this rubble coming from the hills up above, or the building we are looking for is down us? You can tell only by using this method.

See the picture? 1 and 2 are each a deposit. Someone took them out and put them on the surface, creating these small deposits which belongs to the same timeframe of the substrates down below. 3 is the hole, called cut.

A cut deserves a number itself as it's an action, which can be both human or natural, creating a difference within the substrate sequence, called stratigraphy.

If 3 was filled with a deposit, then that deposit would be called "1", as the deposits filling the cuts always have a priority, as they are holes digged and filled for a reason, and there are high chances of finding out something interesting into them.

But how are we going to find out where to look for the hidden treasures?

This is where, as nowadays cities and farmlands are covering everything, aerial photography helps.

Farmlands can help telling what's beneath them, as crops tend to grow in different patterns, if there's something (such as city walls) creating a different micro-climate. A cropmark

Again, humidity, minerals, pH are combined with bricks, wood, density (pressure created by previously existing buildings) and other stuff that creates different concentrations of nutrients, so crops grow in different ways.

And this is how we can tell.

Vertical (Zenit) view => used when making maps

Angled view => used when looking for colosseums and temples turned into modern buildings, give by perspective and brightness differences

No, being a woman here just means you will dig slower. Move it b!tch!

Phew, a whole hour to make this. Better read some more stuff now. Thanks for your attention.
    Very inspiring
    25.00%
    What a terrible way of wasting study time
    37.50%
    You could as well go dig for bananas
    37.50%
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Man, that's more work than homework
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

bsscht
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Why can you see the azz of the guy with the pick?

Comment

interesting stuff
          CSPA

Comment

Well, you did say Uni courses pictures...
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

did you make that?

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Datajack, the spelling in those books is atrocious. I can't make out a single word.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Universities; always trying to make themselves look important.
                  be free

Comment

And this is Datajack's uni-course put in practice.

(just ignore the gibberish talk-show after a good two minutes)
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

can't make out a single word

you mean you can't read what's written?

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

(I'm sitting Computing Science. :P )

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

you mean you can't read what's written?
                          what is that, russian or somethung
                          CSPA

Comment

what is that, russian or somethung

you see my countryflag?

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

oh, french then
                              CSPA

Comment

Working...
                              X