It sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Just wondering, would you have links or cites to these studies? I love to look at some of them.
    Sorry, they all came across my desk in paper form when I was an academic administrator. The best one was a study that showed that when employers forbid personal e-mail and websurfing on the job, productivity actually went down. Apparently, websurfing was how employees were recharging their batteries, and without it they became more alienated and thus less inclined to work.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I am trying to convince my boss of letting me work less hours
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
        I'd KILL to work 40 hours a week

Especially actually showing up and leaving the same time every day would rule

None of this on call 24 hours a day bull****

My job at Super Target calls for different hours everyday I work.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Searching the Web:

Too Much Time At Office Zaps Productivity, Study Say
          Study: U.S. employees put in most hours
          Americans work more, seem to accomplish less
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

It seems to be common knowledge to me at least. I'm sure most people know long hours zap productivity.

The only reason I have to work long hours is to cover for other people. There seems to be some flu bug going around our workplace. I haven't been hit yet. *knocks on wood* But I hugged a woman who was sick. So I'm a little worried about getting sick myself.

Comment

For my money, it's not just long hours, it's long, uninterrupted hours. I'd probably be twice as productive from 2-5 if I could take a nap from 1-2.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

When I worked at regular hours, I worked 35 hours a week, with the prospect of 5 weeks of paid vacation. I also had a minimal lunchbreak of 45 mins to 1 hour.

It allowed me to concentrate on my job, and to work correctly. I've met very few colleagues who just fooled around while at work. I'm always baffled by how many Yanks are posting here from their workplace.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Oh, and my maximal working day is 10 hours worth of work (breaks not included). As an employee paid by the hour, it's illegal to work more than that.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                    For my money, it's not just long hours, it's long, uninterrupted hours. I'd probably be twice as productive from 2-5 if I could take a nap from 1-2.
                    I read somewhere that napping for more than 20 minutes makes you feel worse than before.

Comment

sometimes a 1 hour nap works well..

I will agree, the 1-3 hour bit of sleep sucks.. more or less is better

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        Oh, and my maximal working day is 10 hours worth of work (breaks not included). As an employee paid by the hour, it's illegal to work more than that.
                        LOL

We need that law here

I broke that law 4 times last week
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

as long as you fixed it afterwards
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

I'd imagine the maximal daily effective workday must depend on the type or work. The 6h thing may be true for office work, but I'm willing to bet considerable sums it isn't for lumberjacking.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Spider Solitare and posting at poly
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Before I got my current job, I put in a 22 hour day at a warehouse. 6 hours later... back at work...
                                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X