No announcement yet.

Oh noes, teh overtaxed Americans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the US, it will be mid April at a guess. In the UK its generally late May or early June.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Lets see-- my highest marginal rate is 39%-- thats 29% federal plus 10% provincial. I'll have to work out my effective rate

Then thay take $1910 for Social Insuance and $700 for Employment Insurance. I also pay 7% on all consumption for a VAT
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It was April 17 last year for the US. May 31 for the UK.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

and this is because of an insufficient state intervention as far as housing is concerned.
          QUOI??? Ça c'est du grand n'import quoi!!

if the state pays for housing, then you'll have even more people looking for housing at the lower prices, which means even more people who can't find it.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

QUOI??? Ça c'est du grand n'import quoi!!

if the state pays for housing, then you'll have even more people looking for housing at the lower prices, which means even more people who can't find it.
            Oh sure, people can't pay Paris rents because they're cheapstakes.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
              If the state seriously increases the supply of cheap housing, then the market price (which is currently absurdly high) will plummet, and people will have affordable housing, bioth from public and private landlords.

The market has proven its considerable inefficiency in the Paris' metro, with rich people owning several housings, including some that are not occupied, while the poor and the middle-class struggle to afford their rent, or to afford a small house located at the further periphery.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                Any idea when tax freedom day will be this year?
                It was January 14 for me.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  FICA is not properly a tax as some of your benefits are based on your contributions.
                  I'm 21 so I'm not going to have any benefits.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

You will never be eligible for unemployment?
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Considering I never plan to be unemployed...correct.
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                        FICA takes a lot out of my paychecks and I don't even know what it is.
                        Social Security.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah It was pointed out later in this thread and I looked it up right after I asked. That's what I thought it was.

Comment

after FICA and all that mandatory jazz... 6.37% washington state has no income tax.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              I know you don't mean any harm che, but those who don't want to announce their income to the entire internet shouldn't answer this question.
                              It is entirely voluntary, and unless we want to do some convoluted math and you make something in the high six figures, I doubt we'd be able to tell what each other makes. All I'm talkin's is percentages.

And KH was right, I ment effective tax rate.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

i'm too lazy to look up last year's. And I have a different job. Eventually I'll get around to doing my taxes this year. I was actually unemployed for 2 months in 2005 though. Intentionally of course. I needed a break.

Comment

Working...
                                X