Winter is finally here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter is finally here.

Can you believe that it is snowing in San Diego? OK, it's actually snowing in the hills around San Diego and only hailing in the city limits but it's still kind of cool. Yesterday one of my co-workers couldn't come into work because she lives in the local mountains and she got completely snowed in. This may be no big deal for some of you but here in San Diego snow is something of a rarity.

It's kind of cool.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

We've had snow without break since December. I had plans to do lots of things during my Christmas holiday, but all my energy was wasted shoveling snow. One of my plans was to clear up all the autumn leafs from the lawn.
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
      We've had snow without break since December. I had plans to do lots of things during my Christmas holiday, but all my energy was wasted shoveling snow. One of my plans was to clear up all the autumn leafs from the lawn.
      Don't worry, the leaves wil still be there when the snow finally disapears

@Oerdin : Snow is just fine if the temperature acts sensibly. I guess that your snow doesn't survive for long, but here the temperature tends to act like a yoyo around 0 degrees and that is pretty annoying. Though, for the last month it has been between -1 and -15 and that is close to perfect.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's 70 degrees outside in Baltimore...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We got over 110cm in a week.

Comment

Haha.

Told you not to move there, sucker.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

110cms??!!

that's like what, an equivalent to ~900 mms of rain?

dayumn.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

No, more like equivalent to 110 mm of rain. Snow is around 1/10 the density of water
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

ahh, yes. confused it with ice. thanks.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

It was pretty cool though. With the drifts, I had to shovel through a snow bank that was at one point taller than me just to get out of my house, and I'm 5'11. It was more like tunneling than shoveling.

But whatever, it was probably only around -5C the whole time. Beats the hell out of -30C in Ontario.

Comment

78 degrees in DC. It was an excellent day to get out on the bike.

I actually got a nice sunburn.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

around 85-90 degrees in camden

It's starting to get hot here...the already mild winter we had is long dead now...
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

it was also snowing on the Las Vegas strip. none of it stuck to the ground though.

Comment

Snow level got down to 3000 feet so all the hills are currently white. This only happens every 5 years or so in San Diego and it never lasts long in the foothills. The mountains get a reasonable snow pack on a regular basis but this is only the fourth or fifth time I can remember it snowing this low on the mountains (it's twice snowed in the city since the mid-80's).

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              it was also snowing on the Las Vegas strip. none of it stuck to the ground though.
                              I think it was the same system which hit us.

Comment

Working...
                              X