This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the good times roll! 223,000 new jobs in US in February

Apologies. I am in trial, so couldn't get to it yesterday.

We're starting to get into the swing of things. Chugging along near full employment.

The 223,000 net new jobs is 243,000 minus a 20,000 downward revision to the January figures.

From the FT...

US economy generates 243,000 new jobs
    >By Christopher Swann in Washington
    >Published: March 10 2006 14:12 | Last updated: March 10 2006 14:12
    >>

Employment rose by 243,000 in February, faster than analysts had expected, while wages rose at their fastest rate since 2001.

The number of net new jobs in the economy was up from 170,000 in January, 20,000 lower than initially forecast.

Most economists estimate that the US economy needs to generate around 150,000 new jobs each month to absorb new workers entering the labour market.

The figures provided other indications that the labour market is in good health. Average hourly earnings rose by 0.3 per cent. Compared to the same month last year they are now 3.5 per cent higher, the fastest increase since September 2001.

The unemployment rate nudged up from 4.7 to 4.8 per cent.

The figures will add to confidence that consumer spending in the US is likely to remain robust in the first quarter of the year. Many expect consumption torise at an annualised pace of around 5 per cent,following a sluggish end to last year.

Wages have failed to keep pace with inflation in recent months, but the latest rise in average hourly earnings suggests that the bargaining position of employees may be starting to improve.

The exhuberance of the consumer has been a mixed blessing for the US economy, keeping growth strong but at the cost of mounting imbalances. The figures showed the US trade deficit hitting a new record and economists expect the current account deficit to reach 7 per cent of GDP.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

And inflation is outpacing wages!
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Temporary. The future looks bright for wages versus inflation.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Damn you, Che, you ttok my line.

Comment

How many jobs were lost in Jan.?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
            Damn you, Che, you ttok my line.
            Then you should write something like:

223,000 jobs in February . . . and they were all at Walmart! Too bad Bunnygrrl beat yah.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              How many jobs were lost in Jan.?
              The +223,000 is net new jobs (i.e., new jobs minus lost jobs).

Comment

Wake me when the new jobs pay more then the lost jobs.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Actually, now that I've finished the obligatory DanS hazing, the overall data looks pretty good. There are a few dark clouds, however.

Unemploment among Blacks remains at a staggering 9.1% (remember, that's people looking for work, not just sittin' on their ass).

The total unemployment rate rose to 4.8% (which is damned good), but largely because the employment market is so good now, that more people are looking for work.

Wages are up, (almost reaching the inflation rate currently) but it remains to be seen how the Fed will react to this.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Temporary. The future looks bright for wages versus inflation.
                    Have your heard something I haven't? Wages for the average joe have stagnanted or drifted downwards since the 70's (except for a slight bump during the later Clinton years).

Comment

I remember reading a thread over at DU saying that a drop back into recession is very likely within a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Have your heard something I haven't? Wages for the average joe have stagnanted or drifted downwards since the 70's (except for a slight bump during the later Clinton years).
                        He's assuming that the baby boomer's retiring will cause a lot of demand for workers, and that this will translate into also higher wages.

Comment

How come unemployment rate has gone up another 0.1%?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Because the participation rate increased.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

cos unemployment figures track only those who are actively LOOKING for work, not those who tried for a while and gave up (they effectively disappear from the roster).

With the market improving, some folks who had previously given up the search got back in the game....and poof....unemployment rises, even in the face of job growth.

-=Vel=-
                              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X