Death penalty demanded for publishing the drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death penalty demanded for publishing the drawings

DomainMarket.com sells premium domain names to entrepreneurs, businesses, and nonprofits that want to dominate their online marketplaces and control great brands.

Lawyers Demand Capital Penalty for Al-Asadi and Observer Close
    By Observer staff
    Mar 8, 2006 -

SANA’A – Up to 21 prosecution lawyers called for the death penalty for Mohammed Al-Asadi, the Editor-in-Chief of the Yemen Observer, and the permanent closure of the newspaper, during Al-Asadi’s trial on Wednesday.

The lawyers, commissioned by Sheik Abdul-Majid Zindani, the Chairman of Islah Shura Council and led by Mohammed Al-Shawish, also called for the confiscation of all the newspaper’s property and assets, and for financial compensation to be paid to be the Muslim’s ‘Finance House’, which last existed during the time of the Caliphs, 1200 years ago.

They recounted a story in which a lady was killed during the Prophet’s lifetime after she insulted him, and that the Prophet then praised the killer. They said that they wanted the same punishment to be applied on “those who abuse the Prophet” (PBUH).

The trial of Al-Asadi, which took place in the General South-West Court in Sana’a, was adjourned for two weeks, until March 22.

Al-Asadi, who denies all charges, is accused in connection with allegations of republishing insulting cartoons first printed in Denmark of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH). The newspaper published thumbnail images of the cartoons in the February 4 edition, which were obscured with a thick black cross.

Twelve of the prosecution lawyers turned up to the trial, crowding and jostling each other in the busy court room. Several times the lawyers disagreed among themselves, and the judge ordered them to organize their team better.

They also demanded personal financial compensation for the psychological trauma they claimed they suffered by the actions of the newspaper, which they said has impaired their ability to do their jobs and follow their normal daily lives.

The lawyers demanded Al-Asadi to be punished according to criminal law. The editor faces a potentially heavy prison sentence if convicted.
    They also asked the judge that the Yemen Observer should be even made to pay the costs of advertising any sentence made against it by the court.

The defense team, Mohammed Naji Alaw and Khalid Al-Ansi, from the human rights HOOD Organization, criticized the prosecution team’s actions.

They said the prosecution lawyers failed to say exactly who they represented and who is funding them. Alaw challenged the prosecution’s demands for compensation.

“These people are demanding money from the Yemen Observer,” Alaw said. “How much money do they want? Can you put a price on the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH)? You cannot. Our Prophet is greater than all the money in the world.”

The defense team read out an Arabic translation of the two articles that accompanied the crossed out images of the cartoons.

They said that the articles made it clear that the newspaper had condemned the cartoons, had defended Islam and the Prophet (PBUH), and had reported the different reactions from all across the Arab and Islamic world.

They demanded that the translations be included in the file case.
    However, both Attorney General and the prosecution team both claimed that the charges rested on the pictures alone, and that the accompanying articles were therefore not part of the case.

Al-Asadi, who has already spent 12 days in prison but was released on bail two weeks ago, said: “I am disappointed at the length of time that this ordeal is taking, and at the way the accusations are made.

“I was surprised at what they asked for, and the damage to the newspaper they want. They want the assets of the newspaper – its computers, equipment and its buildings, as well its money to be confiscated.”

The prosecution lawyers claimed that Al-Asadi and the Yemen Observer should thank them for seeking to solve the issue through the court, and avoid potentially violent reactions from people on the street. However, the defense team said they regarded such comments as a veiled threat of violence.

Judge Sahl Mohammed Hamza said there were many things missing from the prosecution team’s argument, and told them to complete their file. He was forced to bang his gavel several times to keep order in packed court room, telling one prosecution lawyers to speak on all of the group’s behalf. He adjourned the court until March 22.

It is the second time that the trial has been adjourned. The newspaper’s license to print hardcopies of the paper remains suspended.

Three representatives of the international human rights watchdog Amnesty International also attended the trial.
    Somehow I have a strange feeling that the prosecution team has been educated in the US.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

He should counter-sue.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Somehow I have a feeling that that isn't an option
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I would give 'em a good old Billy Connelly F off.
        be free

Comment

I suspect they would respond by taking his F off.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Where is mercy? Where is correction and teaching? Is there no love, compassion, or forgiveness from those who were wronged in this situation?

But 'eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth', right? So will these accusers also have their eyes and teeth removed, for they do the same things that they have accused in others.

Comment

The editor is not facing a death sentence, and he's been released on bail pending the trial.

Comment

Hopefully he'll flee the #### out of the country if he can.

He should be able to get a professorship at any north eastern college.

He could work for Air America even!

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                  The editor is not facing a death sentence, and he's been released on bail pending the trial.
                  Quite right, but neither thread title nor the newspapers text says that, so why do you point it out ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Because it was initially reported by the media here as if he was facing a death sentence, and then later recanted by the same media. As I'm sure you must've noticed.

Comment

The prophet is a pig
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

it does seem like the Muslim world is a bit medieval

but look at the US... the Bush admin silences (or censors) the reports from his own scientists regarding global warming... and look at the whole "intelligent design" stuff...

how much more medieval can you get than suppressing science?

frankly, I don't see the difference between any of that stuff

it's all the same

fundies
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Allah bless America
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                            Because it was initially reported by the media here as if he was facing a death sentence, and then later recanted by the same media. As I'm sure you must've noticed.
                            Yep, but as you may notice, I didn't refer to them, and I think that only few polytubbies hear/read them

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                            X