Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

So there I am last night all comfortable feet propped up on the coffee table after enjoying a nice dinner and everyone's gone have the whole house to myself feeling quite peaceful when the phone rings. On the other end is my 22 year old hysterical crying daughter and the first thing out of her mouth is "Mom please don't be mad." Considering the fact that she is driving my vehicle I can only come to one conclusion.....so I say you wrecked the van?

BINGO!!! Give that dragon a cookie. Actually according to her at that moment there was another car sitting in the back of my van. She ran out of gas and didn't get the van off of the road and some guy plowed into it going about 45 to 50 miles an hour. Thank god she wasn't in the van but the front end of his car was. The when we arrive on the sceen his girlfriend was trying to say how hurt he was to which I said well then youre insurance should pay for it. Guess what?!??? Of course they had no insurance and we only had liability on the van. So here we are stuck with about $8,000.00 worth of damage to our car with no way to get it fixed or paid for.

Then the cops wouldn't let us use our towing company that my husband has because they couldn't get money out of it. They called their towing company and charged us $130 for that. Needless to say he was livid. I though he was going to get arrested yelling at the cop about why he couldn't use his own company.

The only good news in all of this is that my husband was able to take off part of the bumper with a plasma blow torch and we red taped the light and I was able to drive it home after about 2 hours of tweeking. But the back end is just FUBARED!!

Should have just stayed in bed.
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

we only had liability on the van

No uninsured motorist coverage? That's separate from collision.

Plus you can always sue him for damages...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Wait a minute! The police would not allow your husband to use his towing company to tow your own car?!? Something definately smells fishy there.

I do feel your pain though Tia ... I guess you could take the driver who ended up in the rear of your van to court, but since he was driving without insurance (which is illegal to begin with) I'm not sure how much you can get out of him (not to mention the added expense for the court case out of your pocket if you should wish to pursue it) ... but you might get some kind of monetary settlement out of it.

On the bright side - At least your daughter is safe and sound.

Comment

Sue the city for the towing bill.

Cause a lot more cost to them than they cost to you.

Small claims should do. No need for your own lawyer.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

That's pure crap. Sue the uninsured guys for damage
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

First off, glad to hear your little dragon is ok. Secondly, definitely fight the the city for that towing fee. Total BS that they did that. Thirdly, did the police site the other guy yet or is it too soon in the evening for you to care (too freshly frazzled at the thought of your child in an auto accident)?
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
              That's pure crap. Sue the uninsured guys for damage
              If a guy couldn't afford insurance, how much you think you'll get through the courts?

The guy would most likely be on his way to another state the day he got served.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Tiamat -- you and your husband shouldn't take this crap lying down.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Definitely sue the guy. If he's flaky and doesn't show up for court you'll get a summary judgement against him. Even if he skips out on that judgement it will follow him. Sometimes people actually get their sh!t together and repay their debts.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Oh my husband isn't trust me. And really the guy works at a burger joint so how much is he really gonna pay. It will wind up costing us more to sue him then he's ever really going to pay. I was able to go to work today and drive the van it drives just fine. That was truly a blessing considering the fact that I'm a traveling nurse assistant so my vehicle is my job.

Yeah I'm pretty pissed off right now about it. It's really a lost cause because he doesn't have the money to pay a judgement.
                    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

yeah forgot....he got a ticket for no insurance and got sited for not controling his vehicle...he got all the tickets she got nothing as she should he hit her.

Comment

I ask again: do you have any uninsured motorist coverage? That's not the same as collision coverage.

It's included standard with most insurance policies. As a matter of fact, I believe that you are forced to sign a waiver to not buy an equivalent amount of uninsured motorist coverage as you did liability insurance.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          I ask again: do you have any uninsured motorist coverage? That's not the same as collision coverage.

It's included standard with most insurance policies. As a matter of fact, I believe that you are forced to sign a waiver to not buy an equivalent amount of uninsured motorist coverage as you did liability insurance.
                          I echo this-- In fact I know in some jurisdictions you are REQUIRED to pay an extra 20-30 bucks a year for this coverage. Its actually pretty good-- you collect your damages from your own insurer through their access to the uninsured fund and then the uninsured fund chases the uninsured driver for years and years to get their money back
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

A valid point made by KrazyHorse and Fubber...

Tia, this might be a vaid option (if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage...)
                              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                              X