• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ogie:

70 > 35
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
      having more successful people paying at higher tax rates seems a good thing in that regard.
      Math 101:

Let's say there's 200 million tax payers in the US. The top 50% is going to be 100 million, and the top 1% is going to be 2 million. The top 50% can never be 150 million and the top 1% can never be 3 million until you have 300 million tax payers. So what's happened is the top-earning people in the US are paying a smaller percentage of their incomes than before. You absolutely, unequivocally cannot move more people into the top (or bottom) X percentile until you add more total tax payers.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

Math 101:

Let's say there's 200 million tax payers in the US. The top 50% is going to be 100 million, and the top 1% is going to be 2 million. The top 50% can never be 150 million and the top 1% can never be 3 million until you have 300 million tax payers. So what's happened is the top-earning people in the US are paying a smaller percentage of their incomes than before. You absolutely, unequivocally cannot move more people into the top (or bottom) X percentile until you add more total tax payers.
        If he doesn't understand that 70 > 35... he's not going to understand what you just said.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The purpose is to encourage small business ventures in any and all regards.
          This pretty much sums up your POV. We need to pay some one every penny we can come up with just so that they can start a business that will probably fail eventually anyway, because it was only started because they got paid to start it.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It's really hilarious. You have people like Ogie who really believe in this crap. That they are doing this stuff to "help small business" and that the burden is really falling on the top 1%. And people like Ogie support these "reforms" and stuff and they just repeat the talking points. But reality is just so different from the propaganda... and the peons who are out there supporting the ideology are too ignorant to realize the ideals they are standing for are not what they are actually supporting.

It's sad, but, hilarious. And ironic. Because I don't think Ogie would fall in the top 1%.

They support a political ideology and are actually working against their own interests...

It's an interesting phenomenon.

And kudos to the Republican leadership for being able to brainwash people like this. Even when confronted by the facts, these people don't budge.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If you have the money to own a small business you are stupid if you don't in the US because of all the tax advantages that there already are. The republicans just want to make more tax advantages that don't really change anything except make people richer. Of course there's two groups of beneficiaries of incentives. There's the target group, those who aren't already doing what you want them too, and then there's the group who is already doing what you want them to and recieves windfall.

Take the Reagan investment tax credit scheme. Most people were already in the latter group and recieved a windfall. That's what it's really about, recieving a windfall. All that supply side argument is complete nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

Math 101:

Reality 101

Tax rates are set by income range. Moving more people into higher tax brackets because they earn more means they pay at a higher tax rate. Having people in the top 1% earn more income means they pay at the highest possible rate. Either way encouraging people to make more than what they did before is a good thing.
                Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; March 8, 2006, 17:31.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  Ogie:

70 > 35
                  Fantasy tax brackets. Reality is what I posted namely effective tax rate after deductions etc. in 1980 of 34.47% and in 2003 at 24.37%

Please read.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

It's sad, but, hilarious. And ironic. Because I don't think Ogie would fall in the top 1%.
                    Top 5% but I'm within striking distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

This pretty much sums up your POV. We need to pay some one every penny we can come up with just so that they can start a business that will probably fail eventually anyway, because it was only started because they got paid to start it.
                      How did they get paid to start it?

Comment

Moving more people into higher tax brackets because they earn more means they pay at a higher tax rate.
                        If someone has $40,000 in taxable income and you lower their tax from $10,000 to $5,000 there is virtually no increase in their taxable income for the next year. The only increase would be return on the investment if they invested any of the tax savings. Any increase is very small.

Comment

How did they get paid to start it?
                          tax savings. Isn't that what we're talking about?

Comment

Reagan wasn't a very good president but he wasn't a very bad one. He was great a rhetoric but gets an F for economics. He simply talked about small government and kept increasing the size of the government, the hand outs to special interests, and maxed out the nation's credit. I know that Republicans have tried to deify him since they have no other decent President to point to in the last 100 years.

Certainly Eisenhower was a better president then Reagan was though even he was nothing but a pale shadow of people like FDR or Woodrow Wilson.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Of course Bush is a conservative. He's duping people into paying to create a huge disparity of wealth. That's what they do.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

@ Woodrow Wilson
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X