X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose free SUV is it?

Winning Tim Hortons cup sparks bitter row

CBC News

A dispute is brewing in Quebec over a sport utility vehicle after two schoolgirls found a winning "Roll Up the Rim" coffee cup in a garbage can.

It all started Tuesday in Montreal when a 10-year-old girl found a Tim Hortons cup in a trash bin, according to a report in the Montreal Gazette.

Remembering the coffee chain's promotional contest, she plucked it out of the garbage. The girl couldn't roll up the rim by herself, so she asked for help from a 12-year-old friend.

When the two girls discovered the cup was the winner of a $28,700 Toyota RAV4, they took it to a teacher at the school, who called the girls' parents.

The 10-year-old's father, who wasn't identified, arrived first and took the cup, saying he planned to sell the vehicle and would offer some of the money to the second child's family.

But when the 12-year-old's mother, Nathalie Prevost, showed up, she said her family deserved to take the prize.

Prevost then called a local radio station to ask for legal advice, propelling the story into the media spotlight, said the Gazette.

The father of the 10-year-old says Prevost's radio appeal went too far and that he has changed his mind about offering that family any money.

A spokesperson for Tim Hortons told the newspaper that whoever submits a winning tab to the company is considered the official prizewinner.

Neither of the girls can claim the prize because they are minors.
    I think the second parent was an idiot not to be grateful to recieve anything.

Not only for not being grateful but for telling everyone their name...
    Monkey!!!

Comment

People can be so greedy sometimes...I say kill the parents, give the money to the kids so that they can buy new ones....

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Both families should be put inside the SUV and it should be driven off a cliff.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Jeez... the parent of the 12 year old seems like a total *****. The parent of the 10 year old was willing to share some of the money, ffs!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What the hell does this mean?

Upon receipt of your completed entry and in order to be declared a winner you must first correctly answer, a time-limited, arithmetical, skill-testing question to be administered by telephone at a mutually convenient time.

WTF? Exactly how hard might this "time-limited, arithmetical, skill-testing question" be? Seems like a sure out for Tim Hortons.

Home of Canada's favourite coffee. Join Tims™ Rewards and start earning rewards today.

See section 28. paragraph 2. Now I know there's a simple math question for the cheap prizes on the form, but that doesn't mean they won't start throwing something really nasty at the "winners" of the expensive prizes. And why are only Canadians being "skill-tested"? You'd eliminate almost all of the US prize pool if you did that here.

And yes, the parent of the 12 year-old is an absolute moron.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

There's some part of the Criminal Code that requires skill testing questions for "games of chance".

A quick Google found this article from the Competition Bureau, which from a quick skim seems to cover the relevant points.

Comment

Hey - I already googled the contest rules. That was enough googling for me!

Comment

don't you need to be over 18 to win these things?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Only to claim the prize.

Comment

Lesson learned:

Never go through other people's trash.

"post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

give it to me. problem solved.

Comment

There's some part of the Criminal Code that requires skill testing questions for "games of chance".
                            IIRC the questions are ridiculously easy. They just have to ask the one question to fill some stupid legal requirement.

"What is two plus three?"
                            "Who was President of the United States from 1992 to 2000?"
                            "What continent are you on?"

Things that even a ten year old could answer after a little thought.
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

The girl couldn't roll up the rim by herself, so she asked for help from a 12-year-old friend.
                              I have no comment
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X