American Voters Disgust Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarnomad
    If 83% of the population doesn't show up to vote then I would actually think that there might be some hope for real change in the future of politics. It would just require someone to tap into the root cause of this apathy.
    Absolutely true. However, (1) this apathy/disengagement serves the Dems and GOP well, and (2) those parties wield very effective control over the rules that make the emergence of viable 3rd parties nearly impossible.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Re: American Voters Disgust Me

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      Rick Perry is the runaway winner in the Republican primary for Texas governor.
      I don't know about the Democrat side. I never heard of any of them.
      Kinky Friedman is so far behind he may cross the finish line in time to run again.
      Why am I disgusted?
      It's not because of Rick Perry. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a fine job.
      What disgusts me is that 17% of registered voters made the decision.
      Don't even say it's Texas. It's not. Apathy is so rampant it's...disgusting.
      Get off your asses and vote.
      Kinky needs to collect signatures from only people who didn't vote in either primary. Perhaps 83% of the state didn't vote today so that they can support his candidacy.

Comment

Re: Re: American Voters Disgust Me

Originally posted by ixnay
        Kinky needs to collect signatures from only people who didn't vote in either primary. Perhaps 83% of the state didn't vote today so that they can support his candidacy.

That'd be sweet .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Absolutely true. However, (1) this apathy/disengagement serves the Dems and GOP well, and (2) those parties wield very effective control over the rules that make the emergence of viable 3rd parties nearly impossible.
          Time to sharpen up the guillotine!

Comment

No. it's not. What seperates you from some wino that doesn't even know what day it is?
            It's all based off voting. Do it, or don't complain later. Pretty easy.

I activley boycotted the 2004 elections and tried to convince the friends who I had who did vote, not to vote.

Not voting is an active act of dissent, if you choose to make it one.

I don't know if your a moron or if this is a really, really bad troll attempt.... the way that post you just made came off.... ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
              So is not voting.
              Nope, because dissent is all about the message received by the political elites. They interpret not-voting as apathy, and as such they don't consider a non-vote as dissent.

Besides, voter apathy serves them very well, so they aren't likely to change the rules to make you vote.

Voting third party (and there always are third parties in American elections) enrages the political elites however. Just look at how the Dems reacted at Nader's votes in 2000. I wouldn't be surprised if Perot received similar flak from the repugs during his political carrier.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I learned that from an american,so:
                Even when there is noone you want to vote for,there is always someone you want to vote against.
                Best regards,

Comment

Re: American Voters Disgust Me

Rick Perry is the runaway winner in the Republican primary for Texas governor.
                  I don't know about the Democrat side. I never heard of any of them.
                  Kinky Friedman is so far behind he may cross the finish line in time to run again.
                  Why am I disgusted?
                  It's not because of Rick Perry. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a fine job.
                  What disgusts me is that 17% of registered voters made the decision.
                  Don't even say it's Texas. It's not. Apathy is so rampant it's...disgusting.
                  Get off your asses and vote.
                  I think it is endemic of modern politics. In the last general election, Blair and the Labour Party only actually won the vote of only just over a fifth of the eligible population - hardly a popular mandate is it? But when so few of the parties have anything new to bring, and it's hard to tell any of them apart, voter apathy is hardly surprising, is it?
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Nope, because dissent is all about the message received by the political elites. They interpret not-voting as apathy, and as such they don't consider a non-vote as dissent.

This isn't always the case. If the evangelical right doesn't show up at the polls this year, for example, I guarantee that Rove & Co. will view it as a sign of dissent, not apathy. The key to having your non-vote recognized as dissent instead of apathy is belonging to an identity group that one party or the other depends on in tight elections.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Want more people voting? Change the system. If you don't want to, then don't complain about low participation. Pretty easy.
                      Wycoff. You're the one whining. You change the system. Pretty easy.

I'm saying, vote or don't complain about the after effects.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wycoff. You're the one whining. You change the system. Pretty easy.

The tricky part is that you can't vote for anyone willing to change the system
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

What proportion of votes are decided by a vote of one?

That's why voting is pointless. One vote doesn't decide a thing.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

But there are plenty of "ones". They make "many".

I'm sure they could make it a "rank these candidates from 1-5", position 1 giving 5 points, pos 2 giving 4 points etc. Who ever gets the most points, wins. Surely, those who really want their candidate to win, put their main opponent at place number 5. But those undecided might put one guy 1st, and his main opponent 2nd.

Propably too difficult for the american public.
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                              But there are plenty of "ones". They make "many".

I'm sure they could make it a "rank these candidates from 1-5", position 1 giving 5 points, pos 2 giving 4 points etc. Who ever gets the most points, wins. Surely, those who really want their candidate to win, put their main opponent at place number 5. But those undecided might put one guy 1st, and his main opponent 2nd.

Propably too difficult for the american public.
                              Too difficult for you actually. There isn't a set number of canidates available to vote for. It varies from place to place. Unless it's something like a school board election, it would fail.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I wonder about this... Sloww, do you vote in your school board's election?
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X