X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American soldiers are going to be fat and lazy

when they get equipped with this thingie

There is a video (pretty large) here :

A nimble, four-legged robot is so surefooted it can recover its balance even after being given a hefty kick. The machine, which moves like a cross between a goat and a pantomime horse, is being developed as a robotic pack mule for the US military.

BigDog is described by its developers Boston Dynamics as “the most advanced quadruped robot on Earth”. The company have released a new video of the robot negotiating steep slopes, crossing rocky ground and dealing with the sharp kick. View the impressive clip here (28MB Windows media file).

“Internal force sensors detect the ground variations and compensate for them,” says company president and project manager Marc Raibert. “And BigDog's active balance allows it to maintain stability when we disturb it."

This active balance is maintained by four legs, each with three joints powered by actuators and a fourth "springy" joint. All the joints are controlled by an onboard PC processor.
    Robotic pack mule

The project is sponsored by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), who want the robotic pack mule to assist soldiers in terrain too tough for vehicles. Ground-based soldiers often need to carry 40 kilograms of equipment.

Raibert says the latest version of BigDog can handle slopes of 35° – a steeper gradient than one in two. The hydraulics are driven by a two-stroke single-cylinder petrol engine, and it can carry over 40 kg, about 30% of its bodyweight. The robot can follow a simple path on its own, or can be remotely controlled.
    Kerb climbing

“They seem to have done a good job with adaptive dynamics and fast reflexes to deal with terrain variation and disturbances,” says Barbara Webb, at Edinburgh University's Mobile Robotics Research Group in the UK. “These are hard problems.” But she notes BigDog is not shown negotiating higher obstacles such as kerbs, which may pose difficulties.

Roboticist Darwin Caldwell, at the University of Salford, UK, adds: "It certainly looks very impressive - fast moving, highly reactive, autonomous both in power and possible intelligence and looking fairly robust. I have seen none that would be better. But there must always be a certain caution from videos."

The legs on the next version of BigDog, V3, will each have an additional powered joint and will be able to take on even steeper slopes and rougher terrain at higher speed, its makers say.
    Wonder if they stole the idea from star wars and when we are going to see the big ones
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

im sorry, why do they need this hitech thing when mules and horses do just fine? looks like a waste of money.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

It's British so it goes to show their ideals. I don't think Americans are really going to use it. I'm pretty happy with my rucksack though.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Onboard PC processor? What kind of processor? And wouldn't there have to be some kind of processor on the robot anyway, whether it was controlled onboard or remotely?

Pfft.
        B♭3

Comment

I guess that it's because of those animal rights organisations. Though there probably soon will be robot rights groups that will claim it's illegal to use robots to such.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
            It's British so it goes to show their ideals. I don't think Americans are really going to use it. I'm pretty happy with my rucksack though.
            You mean that you yet another time has imported knowledge from abroad just as with rockets

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I don't know what your sentence means.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                I don't know what your sentence means.
                Don't you know that american space science are based upon captured german rocket scientists ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

it says its being developped for us military.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Looks completely useless. Hence the US military interest.

Comment

Best version so far:

Comment

Didn't we already see this?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Um... no... I don't think so...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                            Best version so far:
                            QFT
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                            X