China Warns U.S. on Taiwan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joseph
    That is because they are building their military so they can fight the US.
    They're going to need a budget bigger than ours and about 100 more years.

BTW we still are married 41 plus.

One day China will try to take Taiwan. What we have to do is be ready when they do try.
    If only they had as much patience with diplomacy.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Joseph, that's not a fact. Good thing about China is that there's more than one people who make that decision. Emotional people tend to do first, think second, China has had loads of time to think it now. They can't gain anything from invading Taiwan. Only reason to invade is because they would be pissed off like little girls.

So no, I don't see anything happening, but I see lots of rhetorics flying and all that in the future as well..

And yes, you never know after all so better be always ready for it.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
        Joseph, that's not a fact. Good thing about China is that there's more than one people who make that decision. Emotional people tend to do first, think second, China has had loads of time to think it now. They can't gain anything from invading Taiwan. Only reason to invade is because they would be pissed off like little girls.

So no, I don't see anything happening, but I see lots of rhetorics flying and all that in the future as well..

And yes, you never know after all so better be always ready for it.
        I will tell you this, their Chief of Staff of the Military wants Taiwan yesterday and not today.

Comment

I will tell you this, their Chief of Staff of the Military wants Taiwan yesterday and not today.
          I believe that may be Party policy as well.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

More related news:

1. The KMT won a crucial seat in the paliament from the DPP, and now they have the same number of seats. This gives the "Pan-Blue" camp an absolute majority in the legislature.

2. A whole lota people took to the streets in Taipei yesterday in an anti-Chen demonstration.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Hey UR! There are posts directed at you here. It's only polite to address them before adding new topics.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

And he's gone. . .again.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

UR didn't provide a link to his report. I wonder why.

Taipei City police said around 30,000 people took part in the rally, down considerably from a KMT rally last November which attracted more than 100,000 supporters.

Can't find anything on the KMT winning a crucial seat recently.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Hey UR! Quick question: Were you being deliberately misleading or did you again post about something you're ignorant of?
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      China doesn't want to repair its relations with Japan because Japan provides a convenient means to fuel the nationalism that has replaced Maoism as the unifying ideology in China.
                      China doesn't have or need a unifying ideology. The people accept China as a given, just as they accept the rule by the Communist Party.

People do not say "Oh, we all hate the Japanese so let's support the Communist Party.'' No, they are instead realistic and know that the Communist Party is in charge, it is doing a decent job and there is little chance of overthrowing it.

The idea that China needs nationalism in order to remain one country is simply wrong. So is the idea that the Communist Party needs some type of magic to stay in power.

It's probably a bad move for China in the long run, as they're ensuring that their most important regional rival remains firmly in the arms of their most important global rival
                      Like you said, China and Japan are rivals. Japan is in decline. So in the long run, it won't make a difference whether Japan and China are on friendly terms, at least not for China. China doesn't need Japan. The Japanese need China, and that's what bugs the Japanese. Once again, the Japanese are going to be in second place behind China. So the Japanese deliberately piss off everyone just to get attention.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

China doesn't have or need a unifying ideology. The people accept China as a given, just as they accept the rule by the Communist Party.

People do not say "Oh, we all hate the Japanese so let's support the Communist Party.'' No, they are instead realistic and know that the Communist Party is in charge, it is doing a decent job and there is little chance of overthrowing it.

The idea that China needs nationalism in order to remain one country is simply wrong. So is the idea that the Communist Party needs some type of magic to stay in power.
                        Saying something, or wishing it to be true doesn't mean that it is. Your contention that nationalism isn't a huge unifying factor in China is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as your assertion that the communist party in China is accepted as a given no matter how they rule. Magic has nothing to do with it, when enough people are fed up with communist rule they will overthrow the communist government, just as any government has been overthrown throughout the ages. If the communists combine enough good rule with enough fear / populism / nationalism they may remain in power for a very long time. If it was a given, why would they even worry about anything at all other than their individual narrow interests? Why would they care at all (and obviously they care very much) about what people say publicly if they didn't fear being overthrown?
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I find your analysis unconvincing...
                          That's cause you don't understand it.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

China doesn't have or need a unifying ideology.

So the Japanese deliberately piss off everyone just to get attention.

That's cause you don't understand it.

KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Nice smilie usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                                Almost as ridiculous as your assertion that the communist party in China is accepted as a given no matter how they rule.

Read much?
                                I never said the party is accepted no matter how they rule.

In fact, what I wrote was: No, they are instead realistic and know that the Communist Party is in charge, it is doing a decent job and there is little chance of overthrowing it.

If the Communist Party stops doing a decent job, then the situation changes. This should be obvious.

If you had been in China 25 years ago, and then visited it now, you would see the vast improvements. That is why the Chinese Communist party remains in power while the Soviet communist party collapsed.

Again, this should be obvious.

The Chinese people don't need anyone to tell them that they are Chinese or that they should be proud to be Chinese. It is different from the U.S., a land of migrants, who are often not quite sure it means to be American because the meaning constantly changes. Again, this should be obvious

China is different and it should be obvious that artificial anti-Japanese nationalism, as Drake suggests, serves no purpose and provides no benefits to the Communist party. Again, this should be obvious.
                                Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                                X