Could this movie be anti-Austrian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this movie be anti-Austrian?

An alarming sight in Berlin: The city's central "Lustgarten" square transformed into a Nazi rallying ground complete with giant swastika banners and a ranting Führer. But Germany's first comedy film about Hitler was bound to break taboos.

Tourists passing in sightseeing buses stared open-mouthed at the scene in central Berlin on Monday: huge red banners bearing the Nazi swastika fluttering in the winter sun outside the city's cathedral, Wehrmacht soldiers in their steel helmets standing guard between the imposing pillars of the Old Museum and a crowd of hundreds cheering their Führer with enthusiastic Hitler salutes and chants of "Sieg Heil!"

But a second glance caught the film crew, catering buses and cinema equipment and quickly dispelled any concern that the Fourth Reich had quietly dawned in Germany over the weekend. Still, the sight was unusual enough to draw a crowd of onlookers and it marked a bold first in the history of German cinema since World War II -- a comedy about Hitler.

"Mein Führer: The Truly Truest Truth About Adolf Hitler" by Swiss director Dani Levy, who is Jewish, takes a tongue-in-cheek look at Hitler's final days and parodies both the dictator and recent portrayals of him such as the critically-acclaimed 2004 film "Der Untergang" ("The Downfall"), which itself broke a taboo by attempting to showing the Nazi leader's human side.

Levy has said he wants the film to be an "anti-signal" against films which he believes have put Hitler on too much of a pedestal. The film is being backed with €450,000 of public money from film development firm Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg which describes the plot as follows: "Hitler lives and tells the story of what he was really like -- a weakling who only made it to the top with the help of the Jew Grünbaum."

Full article: http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...404573,00.html

I just hope it will be a good movie
    Blah

Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

of course for certain British TV hosts to joke about the nazis is just terrible...but if it's a film company it's all right...

Quoting the German judge "To make nazi gestures, wear insignia in public, or goosestep is an offence regardless of the intent, i.e. comedy"

I'll never understand the kraut notion of free speech....seems to have something to do with money and big companies?? I dunno...just another ignorant foreigner...
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Could this movie be anti-Austrian?
        it's being made by a swiss . . . you can count on it
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

on a semi-related note, i saw 'the downfall' the other day on telly, good film.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
          X