USB Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Power Supply

I'm looking for a small power supply unit that can supply power to a usb device.

For example, if I had a printer with a usb connection, but I had no power supply, is there in existence a kind of battery device that can supply power to the printer via usb?

I'm just using a printer as an example, don't try to help me with alternatives to supplying power to a printer, I simply want to know if there are portable usb power supply units available.
    be free

USB Power Supply, sounds like a great name for a band.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

There are various converters that allow you to use wall power or a car lighter socket to power a bus-powered USB device, but obviously you can't send data this way. If you need power and data, just get a powered hub.

I think cyberguys has some of the power-only adapters.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

hey Koyaanisqatsi, is that Sandman in your avatar (I think that's the name, or that comic where the guy goes around people's dreams and such?)? I read a little bit before and I liked it...never caught it again later though...it's a shame...
        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

You can get an USB hub tha plugs into a wall, thus supplying power to the devices connected to it.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
            hey Koyaanisqatsi, is that Sandman in your avatar (I think that's the name, or that comic where the guy goes around people's dreams and such?)? I read a little bit before and I liked it...never caught it again later though...it's a shame...
            Yeah, that's him. I missed it the first time around too, right now I'm up to 4 of the 10. 'tis good.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

The USB protocol specifies a 5 volt supply. Just get a 5V regultor and a 6V battery pack, and hook them up to the +5 and GND lines in a USB socket.

SP
              I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Getting an adaptor is better A battery pack may not have enough current.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If I'm reading the question right, you want to power the deivce (printer/etc.) via USB, not the USB hub, right?

The printer itself could not obtain power via USB, because printers can't run on the small power available (5V, indeed) over USB. Only small devices can do so; however, they get power from the computer anyway.

As far as I know, there's no way to supply power via USB to a device that doesn't expect it to come via USB.

However, if i'm misreading you, then UR's suggestion is the standard one; a powered USB hub can take the place of the computer (for devices that expect power over USB, and don't require a computer to operate). I'm sure there must be ones that operate via battery if you need them to not be plugged in, though it might be a bit of a heavy battery.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ahhh! Two snoopy's!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000270029372/ is one example of the hacked version that Fve suggests... seems it works well enough. You can find other examples of this out there; apparently 9v is better than 4x1.5v due to the current issue UR mentions.

If your goal is to charge your USB device (that expects power via USB), this would work. There are for-sale devices like this (google ) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        Ahhh! Two snoopy's!
                        Figured we could confuse you

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Ahhh! Two snoopy's!
                          Now, which one's the DL?

Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                          X