Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Iraqi general killed by sniper

12 minutes ago

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - One of the highest-ranking generals in Iraq's new, U.S.-trained army was shot dead in Baghdad on Monday, the U.S. military and Iraqi police said.

Major General Mubdar Hatim al-Dulaimi, commander of all Iraqi army forces in the capital, was killed by a sniper, police sources said. he was shot as he drove through western Baghdad.

As the commander of the 6th Division, among the first and biggest of Iraq's new army divisions formed by U.S. forces as part of their plans for eventual withdrawal, Dulaimi was among the most prominent officers in Iraq's security forces.

His troops have been in the front line of efforts for the past two weeks to prevent further sectarian bloodshed in the wake of an attack on a major Shi'ite shrine.

Iraqi leaders are concerned that further violence between Iraq's minority Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims could spark civil war.

The U.S. commander in Iraq, General George Casey, said in a statement: "This tragic incident will neither impede the 6th Iraqi Army Division from continuing its mission of securing Baghdad nor derail the formation of the government of Iraq."

Iraqi leaders are trying to form a unity government. But with parliament set to meet on Sunday for the first time since a December election, there is little sign of agreement.

President George W. Bush has said U.S. troops will gradually pull out of Iraq as local security forces take over. However, some Iraqi leaders, notably once dominant minority Sunni Arabs, fear that the armed forces are dominated by Shi'ites and Kurds and are themselves potential aggressors in any conflict.

The U.S. military said in a statement: "Mubdar had been visiting his soldiers in Kadimiyah and was returning to his headquarters when his convoy came under small arms fire attack."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Terrorists
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Juba strikes again?
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

lovely
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Is this another case of Iraqis not having proper equipment? Why didn't he have bulletproof glass?

Comment

Need glass? I just as soon give them glass.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Am I too quick to assume it must have been a member the decommissioned military who executed this? I believe it requires quite some training to become a sniper.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Need glass? I just as soon give them glass.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Terrorists
                  Well, as discussed in some other thread, this was an attack against a military target. More akin to guerrila warfare than actual terrorism (which I'd use more for targeting civilians).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

*whoosh*
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Slightly off topic-

When was the last time that an American General was killed by hostile fire? WW2?
                      I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Well, as discussed in some other thread, this was an attack against a military target. More akin to guerrila warfare than actual terrorism (which I'd use more for targeting civilians).
                        My thoughts too. Plus, eleminating officers is one of snipers' main purposes.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
                          Slightly off topic-

When was the last time that an American General was killed by hostile fire? WW2?
                          Didn't we lose one in Korea? Or was that a heart attack or some such?

Comment

Working...
                          X