Physics conudrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physics conudrum

Putting spin on a bullet or shell keeps it going straight -- ballistics.

Putting spin on a baseball makes it curve-- curveball.

Can somebody please explain this to me?

Axis of rotation is different? A bullet's rotational axis is in the direction of flight, a baseball's is horizontal to it.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Baseballs have raised edges (the stitches) which drag air along with the spin of the ball.

Bullets and shells have very low raised spirals which channel the air past them when spinning.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        At a guess, axis of rotation is different.
        Nope. Curveballs curve left and right due to rotation about the direction of motion.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Now, that's why bullets and shells don't curve like a baseball. The benefit they get from curving comes from gyroscopic stability. The round will not tumble in the air as easily if it's spinning quickly.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Same with spinning tops if memory serves.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Nope. Curveballs curve left and right due to rotation about the direction of motion.
              Actually, sorry. You were right. It's been a while since I threw a curveball.

Curveballs curve left and right due the component of rotation about an axis perpendicular to the ground. The Magnus force is nil when all rotation is about the direction of motion.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cool, I was going to bow to your knowledge and assume I must have been wrong.

Comment

I had completely forgotten the action when you throw a curveball. In my mind I was remembering the baseball spinning like a bullet, but then that wasn't making any sense from a physics point of view.

The plus side is that now I remember how to throw one...

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You have to break your wrist at the last second so that when you release the ball your palm is almost directly facing you. You should have twisted hard enough so that your thumb makes an audible "snap" into your palm...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Never pitched in baseball. I was thinking more of cricket, but that has as much to do with shine on the ball and weather conditions when in the air and pitch condition on bounce.

Comment

What about the curve of a free kick in football? I would have thought that was effected by the change in relative air pressure on each side of the spinning ball?

OTOH would that only have an effect with an X axis spin as opposed to a Z-axis spin relative to the direction of motion?
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                          What about the curve of a free kick in football?
                          It has the exact same origin.

I would have thought that was effected by the change in relative air pressure on each side of the spinning ball?

That's an overly simplified explanation. I suggest you google "Magnus force" or "Magnus effect"

OTOH would that only have an effect with an X axis spin as opposed to a Z-axis spin relative to the direction of motion?

That's what I already said. The component of rotation in the direction of travel has no effect on the trajectory.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's an overly simplified explanation. I suggest you google "Magnus force" or "Magnus effect"
                            It's been a while, I recall it's analogous to the Bernoulli effect but I'll take a day or so to read up .
                            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Why does a gyroscope resist changes to the direction of its axis?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X