We're going to Barcelona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're going to Barcelona

Hi, I've not posted here for yonkers but I was hoping some of Poly's Spanish posters could help me out.

We found a couple of last-minute supercheap tickets to barcelona at an online small-ads site and we've decided we need a break, so we're off to the catalan capital next weekend.

Problem is, short of Gaudi's architecture, I've got very little idea of what to do in Barcelona, what to see, where to stay etc. We've got practically no cash at all so we're looking for dirt-cheap accomodation and activities.

What's the weather like in mid-march? What regional foods should I try? Should I join the ERC? (joke!)

Thanks!
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

(1) I'll bet the city of Barcelona has a website with a large portion dedicated to its tourist attactions.

(2) Visit a bookshop or library and get yourself a travel book or two on Barcelona.

Comment

When you get off the plane, head to a tourist office and ask for cheap accomodation. There should be plenty.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        (1) I'll bet the city of Barcelona has a website with a large portion dedicated to its tourist attactions.
        A good list of places to avoid.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
          A good list of places to avoid.
          There's something to be said for this. I remember when I was visiting Kailua on the Big Island of Hawaii. The tourist book (put out by the local chamber of commerce) recommended the Blueberry Inn for breakfast. But I couldn't find it so I asked one of the locals for directions.

He said, "You must have gotten its name out of one of those tourist books. It's terrible. None of us go there."

"So, could you recommend a good place?" I asked.

"Oh, we now have a McDonalds. It's terrific!"

Not convinced, I continued to search out the Blueberry Inn. And finally found it. I shudda listened to the local guy.

On the other hand, I've used tourist books written by company whose job it is to put on unbiased tourist books. They've been very helpful.

Comment

I lived there for about 6 months. Things to see:

Picasso's house
            Montjuic
            La Rambla
            Parque Guell
            Parque de la Ciutadella
            Seafood in Port Vell
            Churros y Chocolate in the Gothic Quarter
            Fundacio Tapies
            Fundacio Joan Miro
            Barcelona City Hall (if it's open)
            La Sagrada Familia
            MACBA - Mueso de del Arte Contemporanio de Barcelona
            La Catedral Gotic in Plaza de Seu
            The old Sant Pau hospital in Barrio de los Xines
            Museo National de Catalunya
            Santa Eulalia festival (the 4th to the 13th this year - look for the Castellers, or human castles, in Plaza San Jaume)
            Pedralbes Monestary
            La Oveja Negra (Walk south down the Rambla from Plaza Catalunya. Take the first street, Calle de Tallers, on the right. Take a left onto Calle de les Sitges. It's a door that looks like a cellar on the right hand side)
            Gran Teatro de Liceu
            Plaza del Sol (Intersection of Calle de Maspons and Pineda de Vallis (at night, there's a punk-hip vibe to the area)
            A Long walk on Avendida Diagonal
            Plaza Catalunya (Watch out for the Moroccans at night)
            FC Barcelona

The city is wonderful and in general you're safe but there's a lot of petty crime and drug dealing everywhere. If you like hash, Barcelona will be your city. You generally will want to stay in the old part of the city, Montjuic, L'Eixample, Gracia and a few other areas. Other parts aren't worth bothering unless you're into estoric Catalan cultural tidbits. If the weather is good, e-mail me and I'll let you know a few good side trips.

P.S. Don't try to speak Catalan except for proper names. The langauge is very, very archaic and not worth using to impress the locals. Also, http://www.bcn.es is your friend.
            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

I've been to Barcelona recently, I thought El Born was the most beautiful part of the city (well, that and Parque Güell). It's the city's hidden gem, if you'll find any info on it in tourist guides it will likely be short and superficial, but it has wonderful charm. The highlights are the Santa Maria del Mar (most beautiful church in the city, at least of the one's I've seen, I liked it better than the Gothic Cathedral or Sagrada Familia -- but that's not to say that they aren't worth a visit as well) and the Palau de la Música, but just walking through the quiet Medieval alleyways is wonderful to do. The neighbourhood's crammed in between the Barri Gòtic and the Parque de la Ciutadella, so it can't be far out of your way.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with Timexwatch's list, though he seems to have missed the obvious Passeig de Gràcia, along which the Casa Milà and Illa de la Discordia are located. But I guess you could see that as part of 'a long walk on Avendida Diagonal' -- a walk which really should include some of the rest of L'Eixample as well (such as the Carrer Mallorca), which is an architectural wet dream.
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Re: We're going to Barcelona

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                What's the weather like in mid-march? What regional foods should I try? Should I join the ERC? (joke!)
                This month, I've been mostly eating chorizo
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

BB sighting!
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

he's all over that other site
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Oh, two more things:

If you read about Palau Güell being a worth a visit, that's probably true but don't bother, it's closed for renovation until 2007 or so (and surrounded by scaffolding, so not much to look at from the outside either). The Gothic Cathedral is also being renovated, but only 1 section at a time, so it's still open for visitors. Just hope they're done with the front facade (which they were working on a few months ago) by the time you get there.

Also, watch out for pickpockets, they're all over the place (but mostly on the subway and on busses). They say the same for many other cities such as Amsterdam and London, but in my experience the problem's much, much worse in Barcelona. I witnessed someone get robbed or discovering they were robbed 4 times in the 5 days I was there, and at least twice someone attempted (but failed) to rob me.
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Also remember that the Spanish close "Patrimony" (i.e. National Historic) sights on an odd day (IIRC, Monday or Tuesday). That may just be federal government managed sights.

Here are some little side cities that would make nice early morning trips:

Girona
                        Tarragona - Big for ancient Roman sites including the fortress walls, colleseium and other historical sights
                        Sitges - If you like men, this is the city to come to.
                        Platja de Castedefells - If the weather is decent and you want to walk along the ocean without all the industrial "charm" of the port of Barcelona, come out here for a bit. It's on one of the intercity trains to Tarragona (look for "Xarxa del Red" or the equivelent in castellano while you're in a major metro station.

Passeig de Gràcia, along which the Casa Milà and Illa de la Discordia are located. But I guess you could see that as part of 'a long walk on Avendida Diagonal' -- a walk which really should include some of the rest of L'Eixample as well (such as the Carrer Mallorca), which is an architectural wet dream.
                        You're right, I should've mentioned Passeig de Gracia and the L'Eixample neighborhood, but having walked through them everyday on the way to class I began to not notice as much. Good catch.

What's the weather like in mid-march? What regional foods should I try? Should I join the ERC?
                        The weather is usually not bad temperature wise; it's usually 60F in the day and 40F at night. Don't be surprised if it's overcast all the time, though.

As for food, unless you can afford to shell out for a restaurant like Quatre Gats, don't worry about the local cuisine. I lived with an old Catalan grandmother while I was there and I don't think I saw a single meal that I couldn't find anywhere else. Do try the Basque tapas places while you are there though. They're a nice taste of the Basque country without having to go to Bilbao or Pamplona.
                        Last edited by Timexwatch; March 6, 2006, 19:45.

Comment

Delay it a week and I'll be there.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                            Delay it a week and I'll be there.
                            Will you be spending 95% of your time getting wasted on the Ramblas and not leaving the old city like every other Brit? I certainly hope not!

Comment

Don't bother going to see the Olympic stadium.

Sure, it's a pleasant walk up a not-too-strenuous hill, but the stadium itself is not worth looking at.
                              You should also take a trip out into the country to visit Montserrat - even the train ride is beautiful once you've escaped the suburbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X