Sex-slavery thrives in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex-slavery thrives in Canada

Canada is an "international embarrassment" when it comes to combatting modern-day sexual slavery, a damning new report finds.

The study on human trafficking by the Future Group, a non-governmental organization, ranked eight industrialized nations and gave Canada an F for its "abysmal" record treating victims. The only other country to flunk was the U.K., which received a D, while the U.S. got a B+ and Australia, Norway, Sweden, Germany and Italy all received grades of B or B-.

"Canada's record of dealing with trafficking victims is an international embarrassment and contrary to best practices," the report concludes. "Canada has ignored calls for reform and continues to re-traumatize trafficking victims, with few exceptions, by subjecting them to routine deportation and fails to provide even basic support services."

The report's main author, Benjamin Perrin, said victims of trafficking are often left in "legal limbo" after they're rescued and left without government-funded medical, psychological or counselling support.

"People have been threatened and told that if they co-operate with law enforcement their families back home will be killed," he said. "What Canada has typically done is detain these victims without medical care, then deport them. It's a practice that we've seen in some authoritarian and despotic countries and it has no place in a civilized, just society like our own."

The report blasts former Liberal cabinet ministers Irwin Cotler, Joe Volpe and Pierre Pettigrew for "passing the buck" during the course of the study.

Conservative Citizenship and Immigration Minister Monte Solberg was disturbed by the report's findings and instructed his officials provide options to address problems.

"It's very damning, and if there are obvious legislative or regulatory fixes that need to be done, those have to become priorities, given especially that we're talking about very vulnerable people," he told Sun Media.

Cotler, a former justice minister, said tackling human trafficking was an issue of personal importance to him, and noted that one of the final acts of the last Parliament was to enact measures to protect victims and prosecute perpetrators.

"If we can learn from this report we should, because this is an international scourge," he said. "I think the record we initiated was one that now has to be implemented."
    http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/National...68900-sun.html
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Can i keep my doll?
    What?

Comment

All I ever hear is talk of sex slavery. I never get any offers.

Comment

Yet another reason why Canada should be classifed as a rogue state....

Comment

Damn straight Canada gets an F! I ordered my Latvian 6 weeks ago and she still hasn't arived!
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
            QFT
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

From the article:

"What Canada has typically done is detain these victims without medical care, then deport them.
              I call BS.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Offers of sex slavery? What kind of offers? Those where you're the slave, or those where a slave is offering him/herself to you?
                B♭3

Comment

hmmm
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure too.
                    B♭3

Comment

either
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

hehe
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

hmmm

The deportation part surprises me sicne Canada is usually criticized for ALLOWING people to stay in the country through a lengthy appeal process.

Who is the "Future Group" anyway?
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Los Angeles is another major hub. Tens of thousands are supposed to come thru here every year.

Recently a joint government task force was organized to combat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                              you can be my sex slave. I'll PM you my address.

Comment

Working...
                              X