• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush War Crimes -- High School Edition

Bush goes on 'trial' in Morris

Parsippany students confront issues of terrorism and war

BY ROB JENNINGS
    DAILY RECORD

PARSIPPANY -- President Bush is being tried for "crimes against civilian populations" and "inhumane treatment of prisoners" at Parsippany High School, with students arguing both sides before a five-teacher "international court of justice." The panel's verdict could come as soon as Friday.

Teacher Joseph Kyle said the "hearing"-- he preferred that term to trial -- opened on Monday in a senior advanced placement government class. The school's principal said he signed off in advance on the subject matter.

"I knew it was a sensitive topic. Morris County is a conservative county. Parsippany is a conservative district," Kyle, 37, a teacher at the high school since 1998, said on Wednesday evening.

Alumnus disturbed

Former county Sheriff John Fox of Parsippany denounced the weeklong hearing -- where students debated whether Bush is a war criminal and questioned classmates playing administration officials and the Army general who oversaw Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq -- as "terrible"and "disturbing."

"Those are young, impressionable minds those people have control over. We don't need those liberal academics doing what they're doing. I find that offensive," said Fox, a Republican who graduated from Parsippany High School.

Kyle declined to discuss his opinion of Bush, the war in Iraq or the U.S. response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He said he isn't trying to show up the president.

"President Bush is often tried in absentia all around the world," Kyle said.

"All we hear in the papers is, war crimes this, war crimes that -- without even hearing a defense. It would be irresponsible for a teacher to pretend that isn't happening," Kyle said.

Defense begins

At the high school, prosecutors rested on Wednesday following testimony from nine "witnesses," Kyle said.

The prosecution list included Khaled El-Masri, a German citizen allegedly tortured by U.S. forces; international human rights attorney Michael Ratner; Larry Wilkerson, chief of staff for former Secretary of State Colin Powell; retired CIA foreign policy analyst Ray McGovern; and U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

Vice President Dick Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld were called by the defense before the seventh-period class concluded, Kyle said.

The defense will resume its case today with eight additional witnesses and, possibly, a verdict -- decided by two English teachers, one history teacher, a guidance counselor and someone from the school's media department, Kyle said.

Morris County Freeholder Jack Schrier, a Republican, said he was "truly outraged" by the war crimes hearing.

"It's not un-American. We do have freedom of thought and freedom of speech. But we're a nation at war. Not only this teacher, but so many others in the nation, have lost sight of that," Schrier said.

Principal supportive

High school Principal Anthony Sciaino defended Kyle.

"I think that the way he's doing it, in that it's more of a debate, makes it ideal and connects perfectly with the AP government curriculum," Sciaino said.

Kyle is no stranger to controversial topics. Starting on Tuesday, his sophomore class will put former President Andrew Jackson on trial for alleged abuses against Native Americans.

Kyle insisted that he doesn't have a partisan agenda. While teaching at Montclair High School, he conducted an impeachment trial of President Clinton while he was in office.

"There's nothing bad with exploring evidence on both sides," Kyle said.

Kyle said he received several letters from parents who were "all complimentary" of the war crimes hearing.

One thing that Kyle said he would like to keep private is the verdict.

"That decision is going to be sealed," he said, explaining that students will be told the outcome but asked not to tell others.

I actually don't have a problem with this.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Sounds interesting.

He did an impeachment of Clinton... and it says he's gonna do a trial of Andrew Jackson.

I'd enjoy being in that class I think.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This is kind of cool. The Republicans in the article who are outraged sound like idiots. It isn't like he's just presenting a prosecution. There is also a 'defense' involved. Though I love the 'these are young impressionable minds'... which means they shouldn't be exposed to both sides of the debate?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

An hour ago I was listening to that Hitchcock guy who subs for Rush every now and then. One of the students in this class came on and and described what was going on -- it all sounded reasonable to me, and I was sure Hitchcock would conclude that this was nothing to raise flags over.

I was wrong.

He went into a spiel about propaganda and internationational courts and how The Hague dosen't have due process guarantees.

All in all, a very poor hour.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          An hour ago I was listening to that Hitchcock guy who subs for Rush every now and then. One of the students in this class came on and and described what was going on -- it all sounded reasonable to me, and I was sure Hitchcock would conclude that this was nothing to raise flags over.

I was wrong.

He went into a spiel about propaganda and internationational courts and how The Hague dosen't have due process guarantees.

All in all, a very poor hour.
          Compared to the usual...

...I can't believe you listen to that mind rotting garbage...
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            This is kind of cool. The Republicans in the article who are outraged sound like idiots. It isn't like he's just presenting a prosecution. There is also a 'defense' involved. Though I love the 'these are young impressionable minds'... which means they shouldn't be exposed to both sides of the debate?
            Ten to one the same people will complain about how schools are dumbed down or spoon feed the kids, also.

to the teacher for treating his students as adults.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

"Those are young, impressionable minds those people have control over. We don't need those liberal academics doing what they're doing. I find that offensive," said Fox, a Republican who graduated from Parsippany High School.
              Now I have a clearer vision of what kind of town Parsippany is.
              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

It actually sounds interesting and since he did it on Clinton as well it doesn't seem like he's being partisan. This might teach students a bit about civics, cause them to read up on current events, and actually get interested in the world around them.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This sort of thing teaches process well, but usually is a poor way to learn facts.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

This sort of thing teaches process well, but usually is a poor way to learn facts.

QFT
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Though I love the 'these are young impressionable minds'... which means they shouldn't be exposed to both sides of the debate?
                      much less exposed to the debate

Comment

Apparently those "pissed-off" Republicans, in their "righteous" rage, didn't see this part of the article:

... with students arguing both sides ...
                        Good God. And they must have missed the part involving Andrew Jackson and the Native Americans. What the hell are they afraid of? That these malleable young minds might actually learn something?

Y'know, the right-wingers and left-wingers of the world profess to trust the people — individuals — to do the right thing. Stories like this unmask them for the liars they are. It's all hunky-dory ... until those individuals deviate from a predetermined path! Then the control freaks all have fits and step in to "correct" the individual. Apparently it never crossed their minds that if they *lived* their damn values, instead of trying to *legislate* them and *force* them down the throats of others, they might actually make lasting impressions.

*cough* Ahem. OK, I got it out of my system. Well, until the next partisan outrage raises my ire.

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I think its quite possible that in the future Bush will be indicted as a war criminal, say for waging a war aggression, or for crimes against humanity, Gitmo, Abu Graib or rendition. It could even be a US court.

It will be like the Pinochet situation today.

Nixon and Kissinger came pretty close. In fact I seem to recall they may have been charged at some point.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                            Apparently those "pissed-off" Republicans, in their "righteous" rage, didn't see this part of the article:

Good God. And they must have missed the part involving Andrew Jackson and the Native Americans. What the hell are they afraid of? That these malleable young minds might actually learn something?

Y'know, the right-wingers and left-wingers of the world profess to trust the people — individuals — to do the right thing. Stories like this unmask them for the liars they are. It's all hunky-dory ... until those individuals deviate from a predetermined path! Then the control freaks all have fits and step in to "correct" the individual. Apparently it never crossed their minds that if they *lived* their damn values, instead of trying to *legislate* them and *force* them down the throats of others, they might actually make lasting impressions.

*cough* Ahem. OK, I got it out of my system. Well, until the next partisan outrage raises my ire.

Gatekeeper
                            The Right's deification of Bush is absolutely disturbing, fascist even.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                              I think its quite possible that in the future Bush will be indicted as a war criminal, say for waging a war aggression, or for crimes against humanity, Gitmo, Abu Graib or rendition. It could even be a US court.
                              it's possible, in the same way it's 'possible' for the martians to land on the white house lawn tomorrow...
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X