Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't complain to the Congressional Oilygarchs about peak oil - Conserve and Localise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't complain to the Congressional Oilygarchs about peak oil - Conserve and Localise

"We must be the change we want." - Gandhi Energy usage is an issue that we can largely deal with at home, Tune ups, keeping tires inflated, efficient refrigerators, solar panels don't need Congressional authorisation for you to have in your life.
    The residents of Willets discovered that their average commute was 28 miles and hve come up with the idea of relocalisation. Creating cities with shorter commutes, stopping importation of apples from New Zealand when there is an orchard nearby are some of the ideas on the site. They also have conferences set up in many areas of the country to brainstorm.

Local governments are much more amenable to renuable energy production then the Bushmen. Recently, where I live,The Humboldlt County board of Supervisors voted to add tidal and wind plants to it's biomass plant. The county seat is using its garbgedump to generate power.

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Noble idea, but we can't depend on it.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

This country needs to invest is a good high speed passenger rail system, we'll need one anyway when decreasing oil production sends prices skyrocketing (and no, ther won't be enough biofuel and hydrogen for the average guy to drive everyday).

Comment

This country needs a lot of things it's never get, like a swift kick in the ass, for one.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Good for those communities! But as for the national implications...wake me when stuff like this is happening someplace other than California.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Public transportation is always good

All those other things... I'm affraid it's not so simple. Every barrel of oil you save by having efficient home utilities is going to be spent by someone else. Globally, it's going to have little or no effect.

Comment

public transportation
                wind power
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  Good for those communities! But as for the national implications...wake me when stuff like this is happening someplace other than California.
                  The point is not to wake you up when it happens outside california but for those of us who live outside California to make these things happen where we live.

If we care about stuff like that why should we just wait for the bloody politicians to sort it when there's so much we can do ourselves.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: Don't complain to the Congressional Oilygarchs about peak oil - Conserve and Loca

Originally posted by realpolitic
                    The county seat is using its garbgedump to generate power.
                    That means they're either burning garbage or they're reclaiming natural gas from the landfill. The later is standard procedure at land fills these days while the former has mostly been stopped due to the huge amounts of pollution it causes.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                      public transportation
                      wind power
                      What's wrong with wind power? I plan to use it, as well as solar, when I build my house.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                      X