World War II newsreels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War II newsreels

Google Video has a full set of the US newsreals from the National Archives. Each about 10 minutes long. If you have high speed internet, check it out. Google has what seems like unlimited bandwidth, so there is a minimum of glitches.

Insights from Googlers into our products, technology, and the Google culture

I haven't been too high on Google Video, but this is cool stuff. All of you military history buffs should really dig this. Apparently, Google wants to digitize the entire archives (!) and offer it on the net for free and this is the pilot program. Google can do this without a lot of legal hassle because gov't video is in the public domain. Previously, you haven't been able to see this stuff except by getting a researcher's badge and going to the Archives in Greenbelt, Maryland.

There's some NASA stuff too, like Apollo 11.
    Last edited by DanS; February 26, 2006, 21:33.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Isn't it newsreels?

Newsreals sounds like something Fox News would have done.
    B♭3

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. Corrected.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Just because it's media reporting doesn't make it bad, or untrue. Doesn't make it particularly propaganda.
        Don't tink you ought to cut news people short. There's a lot of footage right there in the front lines.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Now I understand why some people say the propaganda/news clips in Starship Troopers were inspired by WW2 era broadcasts.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Broadcasts!? I imagine those were films shown before the feature film at the movie theatre. That's how it was here. They were called "weekly reviews" and were informative/enthusiastic/patriotic on pretty much the same level as newspaper reports, but you got the live footage to accompany the stories, a much praised quality at the time, as it is to most people even now.

The Google thing sounds interesting, will have a look at it a little later.

Comment

Yes, if it wasn't obvious before, these newsreels were bought and paid for propaganda. Watch them with that in mind.

Comment

Sure, for a country fighting a great war on such a scale as the U.S., I'd be surprised if it were anything but propaganda. But that circumstance is of historical interest in itself.

Comment

That's why I posted it.

Even Triumph of the Will has a lot of historical value.

Comment

Thanks, these are cool.
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Working...
                    X