• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACLU: New documents show senior officials approved Gitmo abuse

ACLU: New documents show senior officials approved Gitmo abuse
    RAW STORY
    Published: February 23, 2006

The American Civil Liberties Union today released newly obtained documents showing that senior Defense Department officials approved aggressive interrogation techniques that Federal Bureau of Investigation agents deemed abusive, ineffective and unlawful, RAW STORY has learned.

“We now possess overwhelming evidence that political and military leaders endorsed interrogation methods that violate both domestic and international law,” Jameel Jaffer, an attorney with the ACLU said in a release. “It is entirely unacceptable that no senior official has been held accountable.”

The ACLU's release follows.

Included in today’s release is a memorandum prepared by FBI personnel on May 30, 2003, which supplies a detailed discussion of tensions between FBI and Defense Department personnel stationed at Guantбnamo in late 2002. According to the memo, Defense Department interrogators were encouraged by their superiors to “use aggressive interrogation tactics” that FBI agents believed were “of questionable effectiveness and subject to uncertain interpretation based on law and regulation.” The May 2003 memo specifically names Maj. Gen. Geoffrey D. Miller, who was then Commander of Joint Task Force-Guantбnamo, as having favored interrogation methods that FBI agents believed “could easily result in the elicitation of unreliable and legally inadmissible information.” The memo states that FBI personnel brought their concerns to the attention of senior Defense Department personnel but that their concerns were brushed aside.

Other documents released by the ACLU today provide more evidence that abusive interrogation methods used at Guantбnamo were endorsed by senior officials. One FBI e-mail, dated May 5, 2004, states that “hooding prisoners, threats of violence, and techniques meant to humiliate detainees” were “approved at high levels w/in DoD.” Another FBI e-mail states that certain techniques alleged to be abusive by some FBI agents were “approved by the Deputy Secretary of Defense.”

I admit the article is from RAW but the source is the ACLU and is based upon documents gained via the Freedom of Information Act so it seems to be factually based.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Lawrence Wilkerson has been saying that there's a clear audit trail from Cheney and Rummy's offices to detainee abuses.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Another FBI e-mail states that certain techniques alleged to be abusive by some FBI agents were “approved by the Deputy Secretary of Defense.”
      Wolfy
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Has the FBI EVER been the bad guy in movie?

Hell, they were the good guys in a show like the X-Files.
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

hoods and threats of violence? oh the humanity...

Comment

Actually, I'd call that a lack of humanity
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

And what have these guys been charged with? Oh yeah, NOTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                Has the FBI EVER been the bad guy in movie?

Hell, they were the good guys in a show like the X-Files.
                Not according to my Chinese students, when I showed them the movie. Of course, that made me wonder who they were rooting for. Ah heck, didn't we all want the aliens to win?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                  And what have these guys been charged with? Oh yeah, NOTHING.
                  9-11 happens - who is charged for ignorance or incompetence - noone

Iraq war happens - noone

They oust an undercover agent - well judicial system has to go after them, else nothing would be done

Torture happens - just the grunts carrying out the orders are charged and punished, higher levels - noone

Katrina happens - only one main dude resigns and gets a post somewhere else in the government

accountability and responsibility

[q="Bush"]
                  "We had an accountability moment, and that's called the 2004 elections,"[/q]
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

"We had an accountability moment, and that's called the 2004 elections,"
                    This may be irritating as hell, but he's quite right. Unfortunately, slightly over 50% of voters were too stupid to oust him.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Duh and
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

This may be irritating as hell, but he's quite right. Unfortunately, slightly over 50% of voters were too stupid to oust him.

-Arrian
                        Well with this act US voter really put a stamp over the nation for the rest of the world. The positive perception of US is gone for good

and the Bush voter will say - rest of the world?!?! :doh: as if we care

-----

as for the story, I just hope that the justice system manages to gather evidence and that the responsible policy makers are brought to justice
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The positive perception of US is gone for good

Yes, it hurts our image. But don't bother trying to tell me that before Bush "the world" loved us.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Yes, it hurts our image. But don't bother trying to tell me that before Bush "the world" loved us.

-Arrian
                            well I guess after the cold war, the warm and fuzzy feeling that the image of American Freedom (that politicians over there are still trying to exploit) was a very very popular idea amongs the masses at most places. I like it still, but it is not what it was, or at least sold at the time (it might have never been that infact, but it looked damn good vs the commie option/old european/ or infact all other options at the time). Besides an event as taking down Nixon is a monumental moment as an example that people can hold the top guy accountable for his breaking of the law, without spilling blood. US was the example of better brighter future, even for Europeans who had slightly different history, but there was a lot of goodwill that US created along the way, and not all connected with them being the major anti-commie option, actually them being so anti-commie was a stain on US image, like the Vietnam war, or proping up of pro-US dictators in 3rd world etc...

Regardless of that US was loved in the commie countries too (OK at least mine )... but I guess just as well that idealism about US motives and actions was dissapearing slowly under Clinton, while Dubya killed it expressly after 9-11. (immidiately after 9-11 you could see the good will america generated post WWII and the effects, support etc)... but now, spent for good I'd say.

Dubya speaks good, or what US should be standing for, but US actions are just

so blatanly crap that well for what is worth for US as it is at the moment, and what it represents, a third world style political regime (might is right) in the strongest country in the world, plus voters are for it.

I guess history goes two steps forward, one step back... and this Bush admin is this step back, I just hope we don't start walking backwards...

Comment

I posted this story on another website yesterday, and the insane Republican posted this in response:

So what will happen now...

The ACLU will rush right out to a court with their "overwhelming evidence" which has clearly been overlooked by ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, New York Times, Washington Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, ect ect ect on to near infinity.

If this were true, it would be major news, why then pray tell are no news organizations covering it? Surely CBS at the very least would be willing to show this "evidence", after all they don't even have to verify if its true or not, just report it.

Why is it that you suppose crap like this only ever appears on fringe websites?

Or...

Just apply Wizards First Rule.

Wizards First Rule states that all people are stupid. They will believe anything, either because they want it to be true or they are afraid that it might be true.

You sir are an example of a stupid person who believes something because they want it to be true.
                              Her stupidity really beggars belief.

Comment

Working...
                              X