Are you like your father?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you like your father?

Perhaps a thread I have not seen yet. I've had a few drinks so bear with me. This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. Am I turning into my father? This scares the **** out of me. I want to be better than my father, but I fear I am not. This is really concerning me right now. And very much depressing me. I don't want to be like my father.

So use this thread to discribe how you are similar or different than your father. My father is a sensitive issue, I may discuss it later, but not right now. I can't describe it, but there's something about fathers and sons and the competition between them. Why is this? It aggrivates me.

In certain aspects, I am better than my father. I am not a homophobe, for example. In other aspects, I wish I was as good as my father, who has had an excellent career, grew to be the leader of many people, and was prosperous.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm not like my father in most respects. However, as I reached the same age as he was in my childhood memories I noticed I was getting more like him in some of my mannerisms and attitudes.

That doesn't give me a problem as I don't dislike him, I just disagree on many points and live a different life. Also, as I have realised that I am like him in some ways I feel I understand him a bit better than I did when I was younger. That doesn't mean that I like him or think and act the same way, just that I understand a bit better and am more tolerant of how he was/is.

He isn't in good health and may not be around much longer so the important thing is that I don't now feel there is anything unresolved between us.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I'm pretty similar to my father in some aspects. I have exactly the same size/width as he had when he was my age (I sure don't want to have his body when I reach his current age, ugh ). We both share a similar worldview. We both are fundamentally shy and forcing a non-shy behaviour over our nature.

OTOH, I'm much more consensual than he is, and I also have a skill for pedagogy that he doesn't have at all.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Appearance-wise, yes, personality wise, not that much...he is far from being as loud and outgoing as I am - that comes from my maternal side...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I've had a few drinks so bear with me.

Yeah, that's when this topic sometimes hits me too.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. Am I turning into my father?

We all are. You can fight it though.

I sometimes notice it with small things, gestures, the way he wiped his beard (which I don't have ok, I've a goatie...still).
            The way I sometimes smile...meh, I can't stand it.

This scares the **** out of me.

Me too, mate..me too.

I want to be better than my father, but I fear I am not.

The fact that it scares you, already makes you better. You have already succeeded.

This is really concerning me right now. And very much depressing me. I don't want to be like my father.

Just keep fighting it.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It's hard to tell since my father was so much older than I am. My memories of him are of when he was in his 50s and 60s, while I just hit 40 last month. I think only time will tell if I am similiar or not.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Appearance wise I am nothing like my father. But mentally...There is a lot that is similar between us, and I'm not certain myself if that is a good or a bad thing. Like Stuie, my father has always been much older than I am, and I know of no-one save a few family members, whose word I would never trust, who knew him when he was young.

I will wait and see, I guess, but I do hope that I never accept some of his views on rights or politics, for example...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

There are similarities, sure. The major personality difference is that I'm a little more prone to quick flashes of emotion (my mom's family is... yep, Sicilian), whereas he's always saying silly things like "why worry about something you can't control" or "getting all worked up doesn't help you, does it?" It's infuriating. Damned Brits. We share a basic inability to be serious about anything for an appreciable length of time. His jokes are terrible, though. MUST NOT PICK THOSE UP! Thus far, I've resisted. My half-brother (20yrs older than I), however, hasn't. Maybe it's just a matter of time.

Politically we're quite different, but we're each products of where & when we grew up. I don't look at that as a personality difference. If I had been born in Cardiff in 1925, maybe I'd share some of his beliefs. But I wasn't. I do like to think my beliefs are a tad more evolved. My love of History is something he passed on to me. Geography too.

Looks... again I'm a mix, but there are marked similarities in some prominent features - nose/ears, for instance. There was no escaping those. What scares me is there is a picture of my aforementioned half-brother from when he was ~18 and if you put a picture of me at that age up next to it... we're practically identical. YIKES. I have a portal into my future.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Mostly, I am like my father. My dad, however has the wisdom of years in his favor.

We have a lot of the same quirks and worry a lot about stupid things.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

No.

Nothing to add.

Comment

That;s what your dad said... huh huh
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Yes we are similar. At some point I thought we were the exact opposites, but that's not really true.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

NoooOOooo! I'm like, meeeee. What are you like, dumb? Like, whatevaaar.
                            What?

Comment

If I'm like my father?

Lookswise, I don't look much like he did when he was my age; I've got a different facial shape, and am taller and thinner than he ever was. Personalitywise, we're both intellectual sorts, and we do share some interests (history, perhaps most notably), but he's a rather more harmonious sort than I, and lacks my knack for maths and the sciences. We've got pretty much diametrically opposed views on religion (he's a preacher, for Grog's sake!).

All in all, I'd say I'm rather different from my father. Nonetheless, we've get along very well.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X