No announcement yet.

Geometry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KH is entirely right. The circle proof is circular .

Here's another proof, closer Siro's original line of thought:

WLOG (by switching B and C if necessary), assume ADB is at least a right angle. Draw the perpendicular to AD at D. Since ADB is at least a right angle, this line will intersect AB at some point E. Then AD^2 + DE^2 = AE^2, so AE > AD, and AB > AD since AB >= AE.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      The proper definition of inside and outside had to wait for the Jordan Curve Theorem, which was finally proved in 1905, so it hardly forms part of classical geometry
      Oh, and to give a better idea of how entirely nontrivial this is, note that Jordan himself gave only a fallacious proof of the theorem (but got credit in the name!), and I think a couple other people also gave incorrect proofs until it was finally done rigorously.

Comment

The artist in the video is indeed Tommy Seebach and the song "Apache". Apparently the worst video in the world.
        "The Parthians are dead, the Britons conquered; Romans, play on!"
        Gamingboard, Rome 3. Cent. AD

Comment

I knew I had something to contribute to this debate.

Comment

I quite like the girls in the video.

Comment

????????!
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I've been thinking about becoming a Geometrist lately.

Gauss-Bonnet
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

Gauss-type Orbitals
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Chemistry
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Chemistry >> Physics~Math~recreational enemas.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yes, Chemistry is much more annoying than Physics or Math. And if you really feel that those enemas are recreational, you can't be having too bad a time.
                        -Bokonon

Comment

my god, of all the things one can badmouth chemistry from the sciences, "annoying" is the most bizzare and inappropriate one. Chemistry is excellent - versatile and multifaceted. There is labwork, and it rocks. what more can you ask?
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000

Oh, and to give a better idea of how entirely nontrivial this is, note that Jordan himself gave only a fallacious proof of the theorem (but got credit in the name!), and I think a couple other people also gave incorrect proofs until it was finally done rigorously.
                            Yeah, the 1905 proof was by somebody else. Jordan provided his in the middle(?) of the 19th century
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

what an interesting thread...

Comment

Working...
                              X