my take on nyc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my take on nyc...

It seems NYC is a mecca, a shining light of freedom and prosperity for all the world to gaze upon in awe. And the degree to which NYC is an international city is a testament to this. People come from all over the world to the great New York City seeking this freedom, our success and the elusive prosperity. So a visitor makes his way to this global metropolis and sees these people, and talks to them, and tries to understand them. And so it was. I wanted to know these people that I was meeting; to talk to them and understand where they came from and where they wanted to go, or if they were there.

People in Manhattan seem to work ridiculous hours. Everyone, from taxi drivers to executives. A fifty hour week is rare, but because it is on the short end. Lunch breaks...are you kidding? So then one starts to think about the reasons for this. It seems people there are living to work instead of working to live. By this I mean that they have to work these hours to get and keep their jobs to make the relatively small wages they earn. And it isn't the wages that are small, it's the cost of living that is preposterous. Rent in NYC is 350% what it is in Houston or Dallas. And you pay all this money to live in a shoebox. Restaurants are more expensive, and to own a car...Parking would cost you as much as rent here, not to mention the car payments, higher insurance, tolls, and NYC taxes. And that, in my opinion is where they get you. You can't get away easily. You are trapped. Sure, you can take public transportation out of the metropolis, but what are you going to do when you get somewhere and there is no subway or bus system to use? The people and the concrete are inescapable.

So, at long last, the point is this: What a epic fraud. and the people seem to completely buy in. After a while, they don't notice that they walk with their heads down. They forget that it is okay to talk to people walking down the street or on the subway; that it's okay to be in a good mood. They are doing it! They are making it in NYC!!! They may work most of their waking hours, forget what the stars look like and clean air smells like. They even forget to appreciate the grandeur of the city they live in and all of the amazing things it has to offer. Freedom and prosperity? Sure, you need money to be free, in the sense that it takes means to do what you want, but if you give up the only time you have to do these things in order to have the means, what is the point? Freedom is latitude. The ability to visit the city when you desire, and the ability to seek empty space when you want or need it. Freedom is about leisure and pursuing what truly interests you (and for the record, trying to cram six pages of a book in at a time on a crowded subway does not constitute a hobby of “reading”). In that sense, I believe NYC is a fraud.

That said, what is Manhattan to me? Manhattan is a testament to what our society can do. Skyscrapers reach so high it looks as though they were born from the very heavens to which they ascend. People from the world over come together and live reasonably peaceably. Culinary and Artistic expression are both boundless and inspiring. Some of the very streets in the neighborhoods and boroughs are captivating and charming. New York City is a testament to what we can do, but is it what we should do?

**disclaimer: I’m speaking only of Manhattan. Long Island seemed a different world entirely.
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

never been there, but some of the friendliest people at the place I work are from New York. These women are so good to me...

New Yorkers

As for the city, I have no real desire to see it. Other than from a historical sense. The cost of living is so high, I can't see the point of living there. Other than to say you live in New York.

Comment

Live near the city but not in the city. I guess that is how the suburb was born.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

When I was there (pre-911) I found people friendly in a gruff sort of way and helpful to tourists.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I've found Manhattan to be a much easier place to park than people seem to claim.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

San Francisco is known as a very car unfriendly place but I found it relatively easy (if expensive) to find parking.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              San Francisco is known as a very car unfriendly place but I found it relatively easy (if expensive) to find parking.
              SF or NYC? I think you are getting your city threads mixed up. .

Comment

I was trying to compare cities with reputations for being car unfriendly. Last time I was in NYC I wasn't even old enough to drive so I can't really contribute much on this subject for NYC.

Comment

Parking rates in NYC are comparable to those in San Francisco, but in either city there's always some available, for the right price.

The thing with NYC is that even though people keep moving into the city, they're also moving out at an equally rapid rate. While many other cities in the world have higher populations, more people in the world have lived at some point in New York than any other city.

I myself lived in New York for a summer as an art student, and my take is that NYC (and all cities in general) are a sort of educational institution - you work hard and live in a cramped apartment, but you learn a lot in a short amount of time.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

the point was only that they were expensive, not that they weren't there :-p
                    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

It seems NYC is a mecca, a shining light of freedom and prosperity for all the world to gaze upon in awe.

I'd say its a mecca for capitalism.

So then one starts to think about the reasons for this.

Supply and Demand. Otherwords, live in the subburbs if you want to save some cash, New Jersey, for one, is very well connected by public transit to the City.

Though FWIW, those that live in NYC, like GePap and Boris (real Boris) seem to love it there. You have so many different kinds of ethic foods and neighborhoods. And, of course, the city never sleeps.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

NYC:

Lines between traffic lanes are merely an advisory opinion.

The lane of traffic nearest the curb is for people to stand in.

There is a 30-second grace period on red lights.

Comment

30 seconds?! Lucky! In Atlanta, it's at least a full minute!
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Though FWIW, those that live in NYC, like GePap and Boris (real Boris) seem to love it there.
                            Real Boris lives in Portland now. I don't know if it shows his love for the Big Apple that much
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Money > love for a city

Well, at least in the US it does .

Comment

Working...
                              X