Syriana - Any Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syriana - Any Good?

The movie just came out here last week. Is it worth $12 to go see or not?
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Go see Walk The Line instead
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

12 dollars?!
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Why on earth do I continue to see movies like Syriana? Why, when there are so many opportunities in this big, wide wonderful world to skip through the park, work with children, or take puppies on walks while the sky glistens with morning dew and rainbows, must I be drawn to motion pictures that leave me drained, battered, depressed, and cursing the darkness? I'd have it no other way, of course, for sentimentality and mindless escape are as foreign to me as compliments in bed or lucrative job offers, but I often wonder what it might be like to have no concern whatsoever for life's bitter truths. And yet, despite Syriana's obliteration of hope, its unapologetic immersion in the brutality of our times, and the refusal to offer even a mere glimmer of hope as we continue our long march to the collective graveyard of dreams deferred and dashed, I was as captivated as a young child at the circus.
        bleh

Comment

The day after the story ends, the same men will be back at work; the same disillusioned young Muslims will be recruited for terrorist acts; and the same U.S. government will be laying its co*k on the table while trying to convince the rest of us that it's actually a heart on a sleeve
          HAHHAHAHAHHAHA
          bleh

Comment

So how is the movie?
            Blah

Comment

@Bebro
              One of the best politics/suspense movie I've seen from a long time!
              It's worth the 7$ I paid for. And it worth 12$ LOA will pay for.
              bleh

Comment

@Bebro
                AllMovie provides comprehensive movie info including reviews, ratings and biographies. Get recommendations for new movies to watch, rent, stream, or own.

Syriana utilizes topical subject matter in order to put a human face on complicated world events. The film tells a very intricate story in that the actions of over a dozen characters all impact the others. Putting all the pieces together might require more than one viewing, but the performances are so vivid and the filmmaking so assured that one never feels lost during a viewing. With this many characters and plot threads it is easy for directors to trip, but Stephen Gaghan manages to make each scene feel like it is in the right place at the right time. The film shows an obvious debt to not only Steven Soderbergh's Traffic (which Gaghan scripted), but also such gritty, paranoid '70s films as All the President's Men. George Clooney plays very much against type as a burned-out CIA agent, based on a real CIA agent whose nonfiction book served as the jumping off point for the film. His performance exudes a weariness that he has never shown before. The most underappreciated actor of his time, Jeffrey Wright turns in yet another pitch-perfect performance as a lawyer who keeps his motivations hidden. Matt Damon does angry and articulate as well as anybody, and he benefits greatly from some outstanding speeches. These performers, and all of the others as well, help keep the sprawling film to a digestible experience. The political content of the film is pretty basic; Gaghan simply hopes to show the human price paid when government and big business are so closely intertwined as to be almost indistinguishable. — Perry Seibert
                bleh

Comment

Go down the West End...you're talking more than $12...nearer $20...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                    12 dollars?!
                    QFSmurfThat
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I liked it

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

aight then, I'll go see it this week then. looks good.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

It also has Dr. Bashir as an Arabian prince.

SP
                          I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

any hot middle eastern women in it? preferribly with the obligatory tittie shot.

but I do plan on seeing this movie when it comes out on video. It's the kind of movie you have to watch more than once to understand it anyways.

Comment

Working...
                            X