Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

( it's as close as I can get )
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: You think you know metal?

Originally posted by cronos_qc
      1- All DEATH albums since Human
      Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman and your taste is commendable.

Personally I've been a metalhead since the late 1980s (when I started high school and stumbled across Metallica, Iron Maiden and Slayer more or less all at once) and there is a considerable overlap between your favorites and mine. I'll just add a few extra recommendations:

Testament, the Bay Area thrashers who never achieved quite the level of success they deserved. Their debut album The Legacy kicks butt even today and for 1987 it was really quite remarkable. Still around, still kicking.

My Dying Bride, slow heavy melodic doom. Their second album, Turn Loose the Swans from 1993, is arguably the most influential doom album of that decade. Later releases are of consistent high quality and they still show innovation.

Mayhem, just to include one of the primary examples of the early-90s Scandinavian black metal renaissance. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is an indispensable classic, evil for its own sake.

Comment

Re: Re: You think you know metal?

Originally posted by Leifmk

Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman and your taste is commendable.
        Is he an acrobat too?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

2. Ia iak sakkakh iak sakkakth ia shaxul ia kingu ia cthulu ia azbul ia azabua!

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
            Orphaned Land
            Great middle eastern progressive metal bands. Pretty good bands.

Local scene

I was in the Lithuanian alternative music awards last wednesday. There IS a future for good music!

I reccommend getting Ghostorm - Frozen in Fire (1995) from Vilnius. Produced by Dan Swano of Edge of Sanity
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Aivo½so
              Rammstein's Reise, Reise

Their newest album Rosenrot is also pretty good, and for those who know German, their lyrics have also improved a bit since the Herzeleid/Sehnsucht era. It's hard to understand that a band this good can actually also be the most internationally successful band from Germany.
              I finally acquired my complete Rammstein collection. I still like Herzeleid the best. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. I pretty much like their albums in the order they came out. Sensucht being second best and so on.

Comment

Re: You think you know metal?

Some of the best metal bands ever: (No order)

1- All DEATH albums since Human(included).

- Human(WOW, Finally death metal who was meaning something and was challenging) - Individual Thought Pattern - Symbolic
                - The Sound Of Perseverance {- For an entire year I just listened to this album, with this albums, in 1998, american metal was resurrected.
                Except for Individual Thought Patterns, all of Death's albums are worth getting. Spiritual Healing is their best. Pre-Symbolic Death is completely different from their last albums.

10: Slayer Do you remember, when you were younger. First time you listened to War Ensemble…Yeah, you remember!!
                Raining Blood – Season in the abyss
                Slayer's first 2 albums, Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits, are their best. Their next 3 are overrated, but still decent.

11: At The Gates – Slaughter of the soul
                I like this album, but not so much. I put this album on the list, since I know; this band had a great influence.
                It's absolutely mediocre. Influence doesn't matter if the music isn't good.

I think my list is pretty over, feel free to add some bands.
                Your list hasn't even begun. Here are some good black metal bands.

Burzum
                Darkthrone
                Grom
                Emperor
                Immortal
                Carpathian Forest
                Mayhem
                Xasthur
                Von
                Bathory
                Sarcofago
                Beherit
                Wrestling is real!

Comment

I personally like thrash metal over death metal or pretty much any other metal style. But I still do listen to some bands of other stytles.

As for Slayer I like their middle stuff the best. They slowed down just a little bit, but had some memorable songs. South of Heaven and Season in the Abyss are their best. Every single song on those albums are good. But the older stuff had some amazing songs as well like raining blood, hell awaits etc. Everything since seasons has been a bit mediocre imho. At least by their standards.

I guess thrash metal was the first metal style I really got into (except the more accessible metal you heard as a kid- stuff like AC/DC and the Scorpions). Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera. I love em all. Though their best work was in the 80's with the exception of Pantera. Suicidal Tendencies mid to late 80's stuff was also thrash metal. I like a lot of their stuff.

I also like a little bit of power metal. I'd love to hear any recommendations you guys have of that category. I'd really like to expand my collection of this genre. I'm not sure where to start. To let you guys know what I like, I love Helloweens 2 albums: Keeper of the Seven Keys parts 1 and 2. Their older stuff was okay as well. Then they went to crap from what I heard. And left the genre entirely.

Comment

If you like Europower, check out bands like Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Power Quest, and Dragonforce. I'm not an expert on that genre, though. It's not my thing.

If you like TRUE power metal, the American style, get Jag Panzer, Iced Earth, Brocas Helm, MANILLA ROAD, Slough Feg, Manowar, Cirith Ungol, Riot, and Savatage. I call this true power metal because it was called power metal years before Helloween came out.

Since you like thrash, check out Destroyer 666 and Torture Squad. They are two recent bands that are ridiculously underrated.
                    Wrestling is real!

Comment

yeah I like Savatage (though their 90's stuff went down hill, and I don't like power of the night or fight for the rock at all). And Manowar is allright. I need to try some more stuff out from them. I like Kill With Power. That's a pretty cool song.

And I do have one Blind Guardian song- it's pretty cool. I need to get around to downloading some more and see if their other stuff is as cool. The song I have from them is called I'm Alive. I think that's the correct song title. I was obviously looking for the Helloween song of the same title, and got that one.

Comment

I'll help you out with albums, then.

Jag Panzer- Ample Destruction. You'll end up paying $100 for this one if you can even find it. It's one of the most pirated metal albums ever. Personally, I think it's the best album of 1984. It's better than Powerslave, Defenders Of The Faith, everything. It's one of metal's greatest moments.

Riot- Thundersteel. Like Judas Priest's Painkiller? Riot had them beat by 2 years.

Manowar- Battle Hymns is their best. Everything up to and including Kings Of Metal is good, but their debut was their peak.

Iced Earth- Everything up to and including Burnt Offerings, which is their best. Stormrider is 2nd.

Slough Feg, Brocas Helm, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol- Everything. Seriously.

www.metal-archives.com has all the band information you need, but that site is down often.
                        Wrestling is real!

Comment

listening to godflesh now, no idea what genre they are. I'm terrible at classifying genre. Some bands I consider black metal aren't really black metal.

Comment

dentist

jugga jigga wugga

deli-style

jugga jigga wugga

de la soul

jugga jigga wugga
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

You should definitely check out Running Wild, especially their first four CDs. Some song suggestions:
                              Under Jolly Roger
                              Conquistadores
                              Gods of Iron
                              Mordor
                              Genghis Khan
                              Black Hand Inn

Not only is RW a great band, they also have Rock 'n Rolf, a true German cutie

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I refuse to listen to a band with such a stupid name for the band leader, it´s worse than Ross the Boss...
                                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                                X