Global Warming and the BBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming and the BBC

Anyone see the 6 o'clock news last night?

During a report on global warming report (usually one or two a week for some reason) they showed a bloke concerned because his house was just feet from a cliff that was being eroded.

Coastal erosion? Global warming? How on earth are the two linked and is this the best evidence they can find of it? Pretty damning I would say.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Rising sea levels cause increased coastal erosion. Without having seen the article I can't comment on the spuriousness of the claim.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

more rain/flooding thus erosion??? Doesn't seem related as you put it and I haven't seen the news last night
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
        more rain/flooding thus erosion??? Doesn't seem related as you put it and I haven't seen the news last night
        Our weather has been drier than usual in the last couple of years, and the bloke was at the top of a 300 foot cliff
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue

Our weather has been drier than usual in the last couple of years, and the bloke was at the top of a 300 foot cliff
          Was there water at the bottom of it?
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

During a report on global warming report (usually one or two a week for some reason)
            Now I know where you lot get your crazy ideas about global warming.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

yeah, you guys sure don't get it yet...

maybe another of your cities has to be drowned before you will start to take a look at it...
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Erosion happens all the time and since the sea levels have not been measured to go up so far then it is spurious to claim global warming is responsible. More likely the ones responsible were the builder who built right on the edge of a cliff, the county clerk who handed out the permit to build knowing it was right on the edge of a cliff, and the buyer who knowningly bought a house on the edge of an eroding cliff. Life sucks but these people are more stupid then the average person and they should suffer for their stupidity. Next time don't build or buy property which will fall off of a cliff in 20 years.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

and in other news

the chineze are quoting US research that Greenland is actually melting faster than anticipated

Well we should all be afraid of Denmark and their soon to be released 1^2 million kilometers of land. They are a future superpower, and we will all be paying through the roof to go on holiday to that future tropical paradize
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Now I know where you lot get your crazy ideas about global warming.
                    The basic mechanisms behind it are simple, robust and well-understood.

The complacency of some on this subject is ridiculous.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I am not at all sure it is a danger.

And I definitely don't think it is the greatest environmental danger facing humanity, I think that water pollution is.

To hear some people, global warming is going to end life on earth. At worst it will make life very unpleasent (and short) for the majority of the human population.

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Global Warming and the BBC

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                        Coastal erosion? Global warming? How on earth are the two linked and is this the best evidence they can find of it? Pretty damning I would say.
                        Pretty damning that you apparently know as little about Earth Sciences as you proved you know about Economics in the Thatcher thread...
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                          I am not at all sure it is a danger.
                          Neither am I...or, rather, I don't think we know how much of a danger it will be.

But to deny the existence of a readily-understood physical effect is stupid.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We pump out loads of CO2. A globally significant amount of it, in fact. We have measurements of an unprecedented runup in CO2 concentrations in the last 200 years. CO2 is practically transparent at solar wavelengths, but has a very high scattering cross-section at thermal wavelengths. What does this mean for the thermal equilibrium of the Earth?

Duh.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hey, the same thing happened to the Vesuvians, and they're doin' just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X