• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor
    What I'm seeing in the west today are:
    - Increasing leeway given to domestic espionage
    - Increasing leeway given to the prosecution, with easier police procedures
    - Increased leeway given to police to do controls and checks.

Oh, sure, we're far from being totalitarian yet. But the current trend doesn't look good at all. And I'm not talking in "ifs" here, but in a very real trend that has become extremely clear since Sept. 11 in the whole west, and which had its roots already in place in Europe before (can't tell for the US).

I don't see anything indicative of the trend stopping.
    Don't forget the torture. When you add it all up, it does look quite worrying. The Tyrant's Toolkit, all ready to use...

Comment

Government plans to make all passport applicants also have an ID card have been defeated in the Lords.

Peers voted by a majority of 61 to overturn the proposal - backed by MPs last month - for a second time.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's incredible that a bunch of appointees, bishops and aristocrats have become the foremost defenders of UK freedoms. They never used to be this active.

Comment

they've never had to be before...
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It's the case more often than you'd think...sometimes they seem to be the only sanity in the Houses of Parliament...which is ironic considering most of them are so old they are probably insane
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Gah! I find myself in agreement with the house of lords! :vomit:

Today or yesterday, the French senate also did something I support. WHat is the world coming to?
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

House of Lords
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

When the house of Lords was mainly heridetary they didn't like to use their powers to block laws because they were afraid they would be srtipped of their authority. Now that nearly all the heridetaries have gone they don't have the same worries.

Oh the irony
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                  X