Bush and the claimed terrorist plot from 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush and the claimed terrorist plot from 2002

Some of you may have heard that the Bush administration recently made the claim that they learned of details of a plan Al Qaeda was considering attempting to fly a plane into the 89 story "Library building" in LA way back in 2002. While this is an interesting story I think we should take a closer look at the details and understand why the administration is coming out with this now.

Currently the Bush administration is getting hammered by Congress and the Press (even Republican Congressmen and right wing papers) for it's on going illegal wire taps and just about every legal scholar has agreed that the administration's claims that it is just exercising natural Presidential powers (or that the illegal wire taps were some how authorized in the legislation allowing for Iraq to be invaded) just don't hold water. It seems only a matter of time before even our right wing courts will strike it down as illegal so the Bush administration has released this information from 4 years ago in order to remind people about the war on terror and to attempt to get the wire tap story off of the front page. But did Al Qaeda really have this plan, when did the administration learn about it, and did the illegal wire taps actually help in any way?

The administration did not learn about this plan Al Qaeda was milling over in 2002 until 2004 which was years after Al Qaeda rejected the plan as unfeasible. The administration learned about it from Khalid Shaikh Mohammed the "mastermind of 9/11" who was captured by Pakistani security forces in 2004. Khalid has revealed details of it during interrogations so the illegal wire taps had nothing to do with this case. Further more the white house has claimed this was a "foiled terrorist attack" attempting to claim that they some how stopped it from happening. Again the white house's claims don't add up because it was Al Qaeda itself which decided not to go ahead with the plan because they lacked trained pilots. In fact we know of one other Al Qaeda plot which was cancelled due to them not being able to find pilots to fly a plane into a building. Also in 2002 Khalid Shaikh Mohammed proposed hijacking a plan in Bangkok and flying it into a tower in Singapore but this plane was rejected by the Al Qaeda leadership as unfeasible.

NPR has a great article on this case if anyone is interested.

President Bush reveals what he said were new details of a failed al Qaeda plot in 2002 to crash a plane into the tallest building on the West Coast. The president also said that global cooperation has significantly weakened the terrorist network since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

It's interesting that the President is saying they learned it from an unnamed east Asian nation but that earlier NPR's live broadcast was saying they learned it from Khalid Shaikh Mohammed. I wonder if NPR was confusing two different events or if they are talking about two different events.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

actually they say the plot was foiled when a SE asian man was arrested. Now IIUC Malaysia has someone in custody who says he was one of the three pilots, and says he decided not to do it cause after 9/11 he realized he diddnt want to die, or something like that. Which still left two pilots. And its not at all clear what the real story about this guy is.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Did they say they learned it from the SE asian nation, or that it was the SE nation that foiled it? Its possible that Malaysia arrested this guy, but they didnt no what plot he was involved with, and he didnt talk, but that KSM talked. Its possible to foil a plot without knowing about it. Some folks think (or thought) that the mass deportations after 9/11 may hav disrupted plots by throwing so many folks with AQ connections out of the country, even though we had no idea what they might have been plotting.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'm sure that more than one plan has been foiled since 9/11, given the disruption of A-Q via the invasion of Afganistan and our intelligence agencies focusing on the problem. We could've had a chimp in the WH and that would still have happened.

Of course the Admin is going to try to make itself look good, and after all it's hard to talk about victories in the WoT, because the very nature of victory is that not much happens. So, if indeed there was such a plot vs. LA and it was thwarted, Bravo to all involved. Doesn't change my opinion about the Admin, however.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's funny (fishy) that the mayor of LA didn't learn or even hear anything about this until the President made hay out of it the other day...
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              --- We could've had a chimp in the WH and that would still have happened. ---
              Don't you?

So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I heard it was the CIA acting with a SE asian country that discovered the plot in its early stages, not NSA wiretaps. In fact, of the thousands upon thousands of NSA wiretaps referred to the FBI for further investigation, not one led to anything substantitive (according to John McGlaughlin).

Just more deceit from the Bushies...

Comment

they lie constantly, this is very old news he's trotting out to try and justify nasty surveillance policies

how many more sleeps is it now till he finishes up?

He's worse than Nixon
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

When he "revealed" the "plot" it just looked desparate and pathetic.

The 9/11 card has been played out so much it doesn't really play at all.

This "plot" took place in my city and my first reaction was, "who cares?"

It was an obvious ploy the moment I saw the headlines.

It's like the kid who does some obnoxious routine with a toy and wants everyone else to watch him. "Mommy, watch this!!!"

Except nobody wants to watch it.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

this plot was so secret it was on Australian TV - oh about about 3 years ago - did he just find out?
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Exactly Horse this was ancient news it was bizarre that this particular plot was picked for attention.

Man, people can't remember what happened 6 months ago it seems.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X