Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libby Squeals

CNN.com is reporting:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney [Libby] told a federal grand jury that his superiors authorized him to give secret information to reporters as part of the Bush administration's defense of intelligence used to justify invading Iraq, according to court papers.
    The cat's among the pixies now.

Quote the whole article. The article entire leaves quite a bit different impression than the lead.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM?!
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Quote the whole article. The article entire leaves quite a bit different impression than the lead.
        ...did you read the same article I did?
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

...did you read the same article I did?
          I suspect he means this:

Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald said in documents filed last month that he plans to introduce evidence that I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's former chief of staff, disclosed to reporters the contents of a classified National Intelligence Estimate in the summer of 2003.

The NIE is a report prepared by the head of the nation's intelligence operations for high-level government officials, up to and including the president. Portions of NIEs are sometimes declassified and made public. It is unclear whether that happened in this instance.
          Frankly, I doubt anyone went through the trouble of declassifying the material before it was leaked. I also suspect that, far from denying anything, this will be pulled into the ongoing attempt to characterize everything done by the White House as inherently legal, just because it's the White House that's doing it. And finally, I'll go way, way out on a limb and predict that no one will care one way or another.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Libby squeals...

...one would hope like a pig sentenced to 50 years in the Federal PMITA prison.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Frankly, I doubt anyone went through the trouble of declassifying the material before it was leaked. I also suspect that, far from denying anything, this will be pulled into the ongoing attempt to characterize everything done by the White House as inherently legal, just because it's the White House that's doing it. And finally, I'll go way, way out on a limb and predict that no one will care one way or another.
              You mean this declassifed NIE from no later than July 21,2003.

God these AP guys are morons whocan't even do a 5 minute google search.

Congressional Record
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

You mean this declassifed NIE from no later than July 21,2003.

God these AP guys are morons whocan't even do a 5 minute google search.

Congressional Record
                Maybe they took 5 minutes to find that, but then took an extra 5 minutes actually read it.

That's not a declassified NIE. Those are only the declassified portions of the NIE. Other portions are still classified. What remains to be seen is which portions of the document Scooter leaked, and whether he was told it was okay by higher-ups -- which is pretty much the caveat the article offers.

Comment

The point is they don't have an article. They don't know jack whether classified material was leaked but have done a quite marvelous jo b of implying just that.

Twits.

More to the point that the AP morons claimed was they didn't know if portions of the NIE were declassified. The answer after a quick google is a resounding duhhhh yes it was.

It wasn't from my reading of the AP article ever infered that declassification ocurred and they would have to determine if the leaks constituted portions yet classified, but whether the NIE (or even prtions therof)was made public domain. Poor and shoddy reporting with no investigation.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; February 10, 2006, 00:00.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The point is they don't have an article. They don't know jack whether classified material was leaked but have done a quite marvelous jo b of implying just that.

Twits.
                    "Special Prosecutor Says Libby Leaked Classified Documents" isn't an article? Since when?

Or is your point that newpapers shouldn't report on what public officials say until they have independently verified the truth of the utterance? 'Cause I'm all for that; I'll never have to see or hear Bush again.

Comment

Dans'd

Comment

They don't know jack whether classified material was leaked but have done a quite marvelous jo b of implying just that.
                        They never said that classified material was leaked, just that it was said by Fitzgerald that it was.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Regardless my point remains this, AP reporters are morons who said simply this

Portions of NIEs are sometimes declassified and made public. It is unclear whether that happened in this instance.
                          There is no denying they were talking to an unknown about whether portions of the NIE were declassified. The answer had they done the simplest of checking would have been known immediately. That being of course NIE's were declassified.

Morons plain and simple.

Comment

How can you people still care about this?
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I don't I just like pointing out how stupid AP reporters are.

Comment

Working...
                              X