Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Bush crony who lied about his qualifications on his resume resigns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bush crony who lied about his qualifications on his resume resigns.

Remember the recent high ranking NASA official who wrote a memo urging NASA Scientists to add the word theory to every mention of the "big bang"? It turns out he's a 24 year old kid who never graduated from college, although he lied about that detail on his resume. Naturally, he got the job after working for Bush's election campaign. You'd think they could at least run background checks on major appointees in order to weed out the Michael Browns and George Deutsch's in the adminstration, that way we'd only need to worry about cronies such as Harriet Miers being proposed for important jobs!

George C. Deutsch, the young presidential appointee at NASA who told public affairs workers to limit reporters' access to a top climate scientist and told a Web designer to add the word "theory" at every mention of the Big Bang, resigned yesterday, agency officials said.

Mr. Deutsch's resignation came on the same day that officials at Texas A&M University confirmed that he did not graduate from there, as his résumé on file at the agency asserted.

Officials at NASA headquarters declined to discuss the reason for the resignation.

"Under NASA policy, it is inappropriate to discuss personnel matters," said Dean Acosta, the deputy assistant administrator for public affairs and Mr. Deutsch's boss.

The resignation came as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration was preparing to review its policies for communicating science to the public. The review was ordered Friday by Michael D. Griffin, the NASA administrator, after a week in which many agency scientists and midlevel public affairs officials described to The New York Times instances in which they said political pressure was applied to limit or flavor discussions of topics uncomfortable to the Bush administration, particularly global warming.

"As we have stated in the past, NASA is in the process of revising our public affairs policies across the agency to ensure our commitment to open and full communications," the statement from Mr. Acosta said.

The statement said the resignation of Mr. Deutsch was "a separate matter."

Mr. Deutsch, 24, was offered a job as a writer and editor in NASA's public affairs office in Washington last year after working on President Bush's re-election campaign and inaugural committee, according to his résumé. No one has disputed those parts of the document.

According to his résumé, Mr. Deutsch received a "Bachelor of Arts in journalism, Class of 2003."

Yesterday, officials at Texas A&M said that was not the case.

"George Carlton Deutsch III did attend Texas A&M University but has not completed the requirements for a degree," said an e-mail message from Rita Presley, assistant to the registrar at the university, responding to a query from The Times.

Repeated calls and e-mail messages to Mr. Deutsch on Tuesday were not answered.

Mr. Deutsch's educational record was first challenged on Monday by Nick Anthis, who graduated from Texas A&M last year with a biochemistry degree and has been writing a Web log on science policy, scientificactivist.blogspot.com.

After Mr. Anthis read about the problems at NASA, he said in an interview: "It seemed like political figures had really overstepped the line. I was just going to write some commentary on this when somebody tipped me off that George Deutsch might not have graduated."

He posted a blog entry asserting this after he checked with the university's association of former students. He reported that the association said Mr. Deutsch received no degree.

A copy of Mr. Deutsch's résumé was provided to The Times by someone working in NASA headquarters who, along with many other NASA employees, said Mr. Deutsch played a small but significant role in an intensifying effort at the agency to exert political control over the flow of information to the public.

Such complaints came to the fore starting in late January, when James E. Hansen, the climate scientist, and several midlevel public affairs officers told The Times that political appointees, including Mr. Deutsch, were pressing to limit Dr. Hansen's speaking and interviews on the threats posed by global warming.

Yesterday, Dr. Hansen said that the questions about Mr. Deutsch's credentials were important, but were a distraction from the broader issue of political control of scientific information.

"He's only a bit player," Dr. Hansen said of Mr. Deutsch. " The problem is much broader and much deeper and it goes across agencies. That's what I'm really concerned about."

"On climate, the public has been misinformed and not informed," he said. "The foundation of a democracy is an informed public, which obviously means an honestly informed public. That's the big issue here."

is it funny or sad how low will the US admin go to promote its postions?

As Karl said "creating our own reality"
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

"High ranking" NASA official?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

i think it's pretty awesome he managed to blag his way into NASA without a degree in the first place
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
          i think it's pretty awesome he managed to blag his way into NASA without a degree in the first place
          And this should have been a problem?

He was working on "President Bush's re-election campaign and inaugural committee"... college is surely not neccessary for such prolific candidates, and if it is technically required, faking is an acceptable GOP practice it seems nowdays.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

the finer points of US politics don't interest me in the least. however i still think it's awesome that he blagged his way into NASA.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Writer and editor...

****, better check the copyboy's credentials and maybe that girl who makes the coffee!

Comment

Surprise, surprise. Those who like Bush don't give a **** about this. Those of us who can't stand him add yet another reason to be pissed.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Oh cmon, how many low level campaigners get bumps when their candidate gets elected? This idiot probably had rich donating parents and decided he needed need make his nose a bit browner.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                    Oh cmon, how many low level campaigners get bumps when their candidate gets elected? This idiot probably had rich donating parents and decided he needed need make his nose a bit browner.
                    heh I'd say this dude had guts, what non educated brat would dare to get employed by NASA through a connection and than go on a political crusade vs top scientists foring them to insert word "theory" before "big bang", and similar bollocks

He was not only willing to follow the agend he had guts too , that's why they chose him.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                      heh I'd say this dude had guts, what non educated brat would dare to get employed by NASA through a connection and than go on a political crusade vs top scientists foring them to insert word "theory" before "big bang", and similar bollocks

He was not only willing to follow the agend he had guts too , that's why they chose him.
                      And the theory was that this 23 year old kid without a diploma would be able to persuade others to follow some sort of political agenda in the inner workings of the space agency.

If this is true and this actually worked as well as it did then I fear for the lives of our astronauts.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle

And the theory was that this 23 year old kid without a diploma would be able to persuade others to follow some sort of political agenda in the inner workings of the space agency.

If this is true and this actually worked as well as it did then I fear for the lives of our astronauts.
                        amongst other things yes, but imagine the rest of the political system if they attempted this.

If Dr. Hansen didn't dare to risk his career because he thought this was too much, this would have gone unnoticed. You need brave man and women everywhere as for what is worth Rove and the ones making appointmenst who are under him seem quite systematic + successful in their approach to push agenda.

edit:

Hansen said it quite nicely

He's only a bit player," Dr. Hansen said of Mr. Deutsch. " The problem is much broader and much deeper and it goes across agencies. That's what I'm really concerned about."

"On climate, the public has been misinformed and not informed," he said. "The foundation of a democracy is an informed public, which obviously means an honestly informed public. That's the big issue here."

Now apply this "The foundation of a democracy is an informed public, which obviously means an honestly informed public. That's the big issue here." issue accros the spectrum from Iraq to climate to creationism to homeland security, spying on citizens etc...

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                          amongst other things yes, but imagine the rest of the political system if they attempted this.
                          I don't need to. The process of appointments has been ongoing for nearly 215 years. I think this kid is being made the fall guy. Mainly because he's a dumb peon. Also, I think a good part of this has to do with your buddy Dr. Hansen making a stir a few years ago with his politically charged climate book.

The main complaint here is that Dr. Hansen is saying that Nasa tried to "muzzle" him about speaking on climate change. Unfortunately, the real details are that they asked him to run his speaking engagements, as a Nasa scientist, through public relations. Fast forward and Dr. Hansen is screaming bloody murder because he's paranoid. Also, he seems to have a problem with following any rules it seems: http://www.space.com/spacenews/busin...ay_060206.html

All in all, I think Hansen is freaking out. I'd hardly call him "heroic"

Comment

What a deutsch bag
                            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Deutsch bag?

Comment

Working...
                              X