Newsweek: The Cia Leak: Plame Was Still Covert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsweek: The Cia Leak: Plame Was Still Covert

Dispite the lies and the misinformation spread by the Republican Party and even by some partisans here at Apolyton the CIA agent whose identy was exposed by the Administration was officially covert. This shouldn't surprise anyone and it is good that an exhaustive study by real journalists from a reputable source has refuted the lies.

Feb. 13, 2006 issue - Newly released court papers could put holes in the defense of Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis (Scooter) Libby, in the Valerie Plame leak case. Lawyers for Libby, and White House allies, have repeatedly questioned whether Plame, the wife of White House critic Joe Wilson, really had covert status when she was outed to the media in July 2003. But special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald found that Plame had indeed done "covert work overseas" on counterproliferation matters in the past five years, and the CIA "was making specific efforts to conceal" her identity, according to newly released portions of a judge's opinion. (A CIA spokesman at the time is quoted as saying Plame was "unlikely" to take further trips overseas, though.) Fitzgerald concluded he could not charge Libby for violating a 1982 law banning the outing of a covert CIA agent; apparently he lacked proof Libby was aware of her covert status when he talked about her three times with New York Times reporter Judith Miller. Fitzgerald did consider charging Libby with violating the so-called Espionage Act, which prohibits the disclosure of "national defense information," the papers show; he ended up indicting Libby for lying about when and from whom he learned about Plame.

The new papers show Libby testified he was told about Plame by Cheney "in an off sort of curiosity sort of fashion" in mid-June—before he talked about her with Miller and Time magazine's Matt Cooper. Libby's trial has been put off until January 2007, keeping Cheney off the witness stand until after the elections. A spokeswoman for Libby's lawyers declined to comment on Plame's status.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

It doesn't matter. There are no negative consequences when it comes to this administration.

Comment

It doesn't matter because nobody cares!
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Oerdin cares -- so how can you say that nobody cares?
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It was a clear crime. I want the people who did this punished and not just the bagman but the fellow who ordered it as well. Ignoring the right to a fair trial, illegal search and seizure, outting CIA agents because their spouse pointed out you lied, lying about WMDs... That people could claiming Clinton was bad for lying about a BJ but still support this aministration just takes the cake.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I already agree with you, Oerdin.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Good luck trying to make people care.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

@Oerdin
                You want to punish them...
                Ok!
                I'll bring my gun, I'll bring my car; and I will drive you to each of these mother****er. One by one you'll be able to make your justice. Like B. Hicks once said: " when you kill someone have a taste. You dont kill the John Lennon or Ghandi of this world".
                Last edited by CrONoS; February 7, 2006, 03:09.
                bleh

Comment

It doesn't matter because nobody cares!

QFT
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    It was a clear crime. I want the people who did this punished and not just the bagman but the fellow who ordered it as well. Ignoring the right to a fair trial, illegal search and seizure, outting CIA agents because their spouse pointed out you lied, lying about WMDs... That people could claiming Clinton was bad for lying about a BJ but still support this aministration just takes the cake.
                    We weren't at WAR when Clinton got his BJ. Quit being a traitor!

I'm sure the administration can explain how outting CIA agents is covered under the powers granted to the White House when congress authorized the President to use "all necessary means" to fight the terrorists.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

BTW, emails to Libby from Cheney's office from around the time they were discussing Plame have been deleted. That was stupid. They may not get you for knowingly outing a undercover CIA agent, but destroying evidence is a crime whether you did intentionally or not. And it carries a stiffer sentence.

It's true though, no one cares. This government could probably skull-fukc little babies and not get impeached.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                      X