Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone explain mathematics of this Mind Reader..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone explain mathematics of this Mind Reader..

It's starting to scare me
    be free

I did it four times and it was wrong each time.
    "

Comment

A number minus the sum of its digits is always a multiple of nine. To see this, note that if, say, x=10n+m has two digits, x minus the sum of its digits is (10n+m)-(n+m)=9n; with more digits it is similar. Also, if x has only two digits, n is between 1 and 9, so the only possibilities are 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, and 81. All of these numbers always have the same symbol; that's how it "reads your mind".

Comment

When you perform the operation, your remaining number is always a multiple of 9. If you look carefully, the same symbol appears at the slots (9, 18, 27, 36, etc.). However it changes randomly each "game."

Edit: civman2000
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
          A number minus the sum of its digits is always a multiple of nine. To see this, note that if, say, x=10n+m has two digits, x minus the sum of its digits is (10n+m)-(n+m)=9n; with more digits it is similar. Also, if x has only two digits, n is between 1 and 9, so the only possibilities are 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, and 81. All of these numbers always have the same symbol; that's how it "reads your mind".
          makes sense. Mine ended up being 9 (from 11).

and if it was really reading my mind, it would have showed a picture of a hot naked chick.

Comment

Moreover, every time you click, it rearranges the symbols; first all teh multiples of 9 are a bell, then a cross, then a flower, etc. So you seem to keep finding different symbols that it "guesses." Pretty clever.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

ah yes, now I remember the old trick, thanks!
              be free

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
                I did it four times and it was wrong each time.
                Then you are very bad at math. Look at the board and choice multiple numbers, follow the instructions for each number you choose, and notice how no matter what number you choose if you add correctly they all have the same symbol next to them.

I'm not sure which mathamatical theorem they're using but no matter which number you choose the anwser will have the same symbol next to it.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Then you are very bad at math. Look at the board and choice multiple numbers, follow the instructions for each number you choose, and notice how no matter what number you choose if you add correctly they all have the same symbol next to them.

I'm not sure which mathamatical theorem they're using but no matter which number you choose the anwser will have the same symbol next to it.
                  lol perhaps
                  "

Comment

Working...
                  X