• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Attack the Issue, Attack the Poster

Calling Clinton ‘Angry,’ G.O.P. Chairman Goes on the Attack

By ADAM NAGOURNEY
    Published: February 6, 2006
    WASHINGTON, Feb. 5 — The chairman of the Republican National Committee, Ken Mehlman, offered a broad attack on Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York on Sunday, describing her as a Democrat brimming with anger and a representative of the far left wing of her party.

Mr. Mehlman disputed the suggestion that Mrs. Clinton, a former first lady, had moved to the center of her party. And while he declined to say, in response to a question, if he thought Mrs. Clinton would be the Republicans' "dream candidate or the Democrat you most dread," he left little doubt that Republicans had settled on new lines of attack on one of the leading Democratic contenders for the 2008 presidential nomination.

"I don't think the American people, if you look historically, elect angry candidates," Mr. Mehlman told George Stephanopoulos on the ABC program "This Week."

Referring to Mrs. Clinton's assertion that Republicans were running Congress like a plantation, he said, "Whether it's the comments about the plantation or the worst administration in history, Hillary Clinton seems to have a lot of anger."

"There's a lot of talk about a new Hillary Clinton, but if you look at the record, it's a very left-wing record," Mr. Mehlman said, adding that her record did not reflect the values of most Americans.

Mr. Mehlman's remarks were some of the strongest statements he has made about Mrs. Clinton, and they reflect an effort by Republicans to tarnish her credentials when she is thought to be preparing for the 2008 presidential race. To some extent, Mr. Mehlman was filling a void created by the failure of the Republican Party, so far, to find a strong candidate to run against Mrs. Clinton as she seeks re-election to the Senate this year.

A spokesman for Mrs. Clinton, Howard Wolfson, dismissed the attacks.

"The R.N.C. and the White House are attacking because she has effectively pointed out their failures and offered ways to address them, and they don't like that," Mr. Wolfson said. "Every poll I've seen in New York suggests that New Yorkers approve of Mrs. Clinton's performance in office because they know she's a strong advocate for them."
    No wonder this administration is creating more problems than it solves.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

I just read the Google-China thread, and I read the headline as:
    Calling Clinton ‘Angry,’ G.O.P. Chinaman Goes on the Attack

I'm a bad person.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The GOP have been calling anyone they don't like "angry" lately.

Comment

They've called them 'communist' so much that the word has lost all meaning.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
          They've called them 'communist' so much that the word has lost all meaning.
          Same thing with "democracy," "freedom," "human rights," etc.

Politics and the English Language
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What does this matter?

She's not getting the nomination.
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Same thing with "democracy," "freedom," "human rights," etc.

Politics and the English Language
              "proletariat," "bourgeois," "imperialist,"...
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The GOP has been following the same stategy for years. You ignore the issues raised, attack the spokes person, call them a rapid left winger, and say they're angery or deranged. Sadly, this works well because most Americans are either to stupid or to lazy to call them on this tactic.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  The GOP has been following the same stategy for years. You ignore the issues raised, attack the spokes person, call them a rapid left winger, and say they're angery or deranged. Sadly, this works well because most Americans are either to stupid or to lazy to call them on this tactic.
                  What's hilarious about this tactic (and sad, when you consider how well it works) is that political "discussion" on tv tends to consist of mild, apologetic liberals being shouted down by screaming, frothing, bug-eyed, purple-faced conservatives.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I'm a rapid left winger. See me move!
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      Unfortunately, this strategy is not used only in the political US world. I have had so often to fight it that I posted a line in my office saying : *if your person is under attack, and not your ideas, it means that your ideas are right*.
                      Statistical anomaly.
                      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

What's hilarious about this tactic (and sad, when you consider how well it works) is that political "discussion" on tv tends to consist of mild, apologetic liberals being shouted down by screaming, frothing, bug-eyed, purple-faced conservatives.
                        Your right I much prefer the reasoned discourse of the internet.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Ban him!
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ken Mehlman is a douchebag. That being said, he doesn't represent the Bush Administration anymore than Mehlman's counterpart Howard Dean (also a douche) represents the Democratic leadership in Washington.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X