Drive letter hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive letter hell

How can you force a drive to keep a drive letter? I know how to set the drive letter using administrative tools, but it doesn't keep them

I have 3 HDs:
    - The one with WinXP, always C
    - A smaller HD split in two
    - An external HD (connected through firewire)

The smaller HD should always be D and E, while the external should be H, but sometimes it changes them during startup, setting the external HD to D, while the smaller HD becomes E and F (also my 4 cd and dvd drives gets pushed one letter). Because of this I can't set my external HD to H anymore (how do you change drive letters for cd-drives?)...
    Ok, I can live with it being L instead of H, but because of how everything is installed, it's not an option to make it stay as D drive

It's not always it does it, mostly when Civ 4 freezes (and I have to manually reset the computer), but today it did it without a freezing game
    This space is empty... or is it?

Right-click My Computer and go to Manage.

Navigate to Storage > Disk Management. Right-click a drive and select Change drive letter and Path to make changes.

Comment

That's what I have been using so far, but it doesn't remember the drive letters I assign them

Comment

Héhé, I had the same thing but after a reinstall last weekend they are now behaving as they should.

btw, you have a drive especially for XP? How big is that drive or your version of XP??

Just use a designated partition for XP.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Well, I don't use it only for Windows

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
            Well, I don't use it only for Windows
            Could your other os's be mucking around with drive letter assignments?

Comment

I ment that I also got other files on that drive, not just the OS installation

...and I've only got WinXP installed

Comment

Comment

Damn, it seems like it does it all the time now

Comment

You should probably consider backing up your data...
                    What?

Comment

Its the bios,

Go set the fixed disk priority in bios. That should clear it up. although even that is prone to some usb strangeness.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X