Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 is NOT the greatest show evar! (rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 is NOT the greatest show evar! (rant)

I don't want to post this in the other thread, since I don't want to read possible spoilers for season 5 there

We are ca. in the midst of season 4 now, and there are IMO more and more stupid things. I still like the show, but sometimes it's just sooo strange.

So those terrorist in s4 are really clever, they have a plan (hostage taking of the Secr. of Defense plus his daughter), and a plan (cause meltdowns in ....wait, not one, or two, but all nuclear plants, yeah simple, isn't it?), and another plan which I don't know yet Probably they've some more plans, and if somebody asks me what the plot of s4 is I'd be really in trouble.

And thank God there is this "override" thingie that let's you magically control all US nuclear plants from your office. Why would someone even produce something like that? Sounds like bad scifi, when the central computer controls all the evil robots.

There are numerous other things I don't like now. I personally find the constant torture stuff slightly disturbing, but ok, it's a tv show. But then they could at least try to make sense - so why in hell does the CTU use torture at the first chance for example on the son of the Secr. of Defense (when they hardly assume he's something to do with the terror), but they don't use torture in other cases, when it's crystal clear that the person is connected to the terrorists (for example against the girl who spied for the terrorists in the CTU and was killed later by them, or against the wife of one of the terrorists)?

Then there's lot's of stupid private stuff - the woman leading the CTU LA first brings in her daughter for medical treatment, but makes great speeches about "we have to put back our private stuff since there are so many people in danger" to one of the computer guys who wants to leave to help his mother in the area of the first reactor melting down.

There are other things, but for now it's enough
    Blah

I realise this may sound completely potty, but how about you stopped watching it?

Comment

Well I want to know how this all ends.

And as said, it's not that I totally dislike it now - but it's not the greatest show evar anymore IMO
      Blah

Comment

All the greatest shows were on way before the Wall came down, in any case.

Stop watching!

Comment

Season 4 was teh crap! A lot of totally unrealistic things. I realize that 24 always has unrealistic things, but you can always suspend your disbelief. Not with Season 4. Oh, and wait until the story TOTALLY changes gears midway through. You'll be like WTF?!

Season 5, so far, looks better.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That said, Season 4 got better (for the most part) as it shifted gears midway through--after it stopped one-upping itself with plot after plot, and settled in on the last one.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui Oh, and wait until the story TOTALLY changes gears midway through. You'll be like WTF?!
              Hey, every single season makes a gear-stripping U-turn about midway through, how was this any different?

Season 1: Mysterious assassins -> ex-military Serb family on a blood feud
              Season 2: Jihadists about to set off a nuke -> oil magnates conspiring to profit from war
              Season 3: Latin American druglords trying to get someone out of prison -> some limey psychopath trying to dismantle US imperialism
              Season 4: Jihadists hacking nuclear plants to cause a meltdown -> jihadists... pickling fish

While I agree the ****'s always farfetched at best/utter bull**** at worst, I don't see how the focal change was anything but the same old formula.
              Last edited by Darius871; February 5, 2006, 16:28.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

This one was different in that seemed like the writers were basically just making it up as they went along. I thought the season got pitifully worse after they changed gears, frankly.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't know why I keep coming back to this, since I don't know the show, and don't even own a TV. But shouldn't Darius871 edit part of his post to hide the info on spoilers for Season 4? Seems to me that BeBro made a point of that in his OP.

And now, this is one of those rare occasions where I will henceforth shut up.

Comment

It can't be that much of a surprise.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Nein, 24 ist das Beste!

DU WURST NICHT ES VERSPANNENHABEN !!!
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Here's antother thing I don't get about season four: If the top-terorist is teh mummy, why does he need a nuclear warhead? He could simply unleash some biblical plagues!
                        Blah

Comment

He needs to first kill Brendan Fraiser
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

and schtupp his foxy British girlfriend (or sacrifice her, I don't recall which).
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Good test of what a evil genius he is, though. I mean, only a complete moron would sacrifice her.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X