• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw Otto - Here's a real school bus driver

N.J. school bus driver ran 'bullying system,' court hears

Bus became scene from `Lord of the Flies,' prosecutor says
    Feb. 3, 2006. 12:20 PM
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — A school bus driver from New Jersey has been accused of creating a hierarchy among his middle school charges that encouraged older students to bully younger ones to keep order.

"It was 'Lord of the Flies' with adult supervision," said William Smith, spokesman for Staten Island District Attorney Daniel Donovan.

The driver, Michael Cianci, of Parlin, N.J., was arraigned Thursday on two counts of endangering the welfare of a child and released on $500 bail.

Cianci allegedly encouraged students in his so-called Death Cheese Club — supposedly named for the yellow school bus — to use headlocks on other students and push them around, beginning about three months ago, Smith said.

The bullying system on the bus was brought to the attention of authorities after a student cut the jacket of another student with scissors and Cianci allegedly failed to report it.

Cianci also allegedly forced sixth graders from Intermediate School 34 in Tottenville to recite a set of "rules" — a 12-tiered ranking system that ended with a proclamation that "Mercy will not be tolerated.''

Smith said there was no explanation as to why the students did not report the bullying system sooner.

The first complaint came on Jan. 17 when the parents of the 11-year-old boy whose jacket was cut reported it to school authorities, Smith said. The parents of another 11-year-old boy filed a complaint at around the same time when their son told them of ongoing harassment on the bus in the form of headlocks and shoving.

Smith said there were no direct threats against any of the students beyond the "rules" the driver posted that set a pecking order on the bus.

The Department of Education said Cianci was suspended without pay. It said he has been a certified bus driver for 15 years and had no prior complaints against him.

"Lord of the Flies," first published in 1954, is a novel about a group of boys trapped on an island after a plane crash. The youths in the tale split into factions and one group attacks the other.

"The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Fight Club for Kids!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

They had to summarise the plot of Lord of the Flies in two sentences!

Comment

I just got off the phone with my wife. One of my sons was written up for having a "long, sharp, rusty nail" on the bus this morning. Apparently he was banging it on the window, and it was confiscated by the bus driver.

My reaction: So what. No one got hurt; he's just a six-year-old playing with a rusty nail.

This of course has absolutely nothing to do with the OP, except for the school bus tie-in.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I can see how being a middle school bus driver would make you crazy, especially after 15 years. I want to know why the hell he didn't get out of it because it happened.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Badly.

just got off the phone with my wife. One of my sons was written up for having a "long, sharp, rusty nail" on the bus this morning. Apparently he was banging it on the window, and it was confiscated by the bus driver.
            TERRORIST!!

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Stuie's son obviously hates America
              Monkey!!!

Comment

And teh BABY JEBUS!!!!!

Comment

That is one crazy bus driver
                  "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                  Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

That's because it's banned in many schools.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Most of the school bus drivers here are soccer-moms. It's worth your life to be on the same road with them during the hours when they're active.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

That's because it's banned in many schools.
                        America - Land of the Free...

Comment

Working...
                        X