Price controls on college textbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    I stopped buying textbooks when I realised that the average markup on them (year over year) was over 10%
    i stopped buying textbooks when i realised i'd rather spend the money on beer
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Yeah, because they don't try as best they can to get economies of scale on the few textbooks they sell?
      I could care less what they try to do. I'm concerned with what they actually do. Require them to achieve economies of scale and they either do it or they get out of the business.
      Please, medical insurance policies are very easy to read and understand. Most participants just simply do not read them. If there is a procedure you aren't sure about, you can always call your provider (their number is on the back of your card).
      You simply don't have a lot of decision making power here. Just because you get to choose your policy doesn't give you the power that you think you have. Experts have the power here.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Bjarne Stroustrup?
        Nope,

This guy.... Apparently I wasn't the only one that thought this book Suxored.

Last edited by Spaced Cowboy; February 6, 2006, 14:13.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I generally spent less than 50€ per semester for my textbooks while at Uni. Pretty much every course used a "reader", where the parts of relevant books were compiled, and copied for each student.

Also, in all of my research, I bought only one book. All the rest came straight from the library.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
            I could care less what they try to do. I'm concerned with what they actually do. Require them to achieve economies of scale and they either do it or they get out of the business.
            Personally, I'd rather have expensive textbooks than no textbooks.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

Personally, I'd rather have expensive textbooks than no textbooks.
              But the thing is that there will always be textbooks. Someone will be able to produce at the lower price, they just need the sales to do so. The market structure is discouraging lower cost production.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

thats were I get all my textbooks. Screw the university book store. THey buy back your used textbook for like 5% of the selling price they gave to you, and then resell them as used at 90% of a new books price (same edition)

its highway robbery.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Has anyone else figured out that you can take two "USED" stickers from off used your textbooks, amputate the "U" off the first one, paste them next to each other and have them spell out 'SEDUSED"

(Why yes, it does take very little to amuse me. Why do you ask?)

Comment

Working...
                  X